For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Classification of Students

Matriculated Student Classifications

  1. Full Matriculation: Granted to a student who meets all admission requirements of their program.
  2. Provisional Matriculation: May be granted to a student when the department feels they show potential for success but their undergraduate or previous graduate work does not meet regular admission requirements, or when they do not have sufficient background in their chosen fields. The provisional classification allows a student to prove his or her ability by taking up to 12 credits of courses within his or her discipline or chosen by his or her departmental graduate academic advisor. If the student attains a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 at the end of that period and fulfills all conditions stipulated in their provisional application, he or she may petition to the academic program/department to be transferred into full matriculated status. Credit earned as a provisional degree student may be accepted toward the degree at the discretion of the advisor. Inability to complete the requirements will result in dismissal from the graduate program.
    Please Note: Some academic programs do not offer provisional matriculation.
  3. Certificate Student: Students taking coursework to earn advanced certificates in program concentrations.

Non-Matriculated Student Classification

If a student fails to meet the standards of the academic department for admissions as a matriculated student or wishes to take graduate coursework for professional growth and not toward a particular degree program, the academic program/department may admit the applicant as a non-matriculated student. 

Graduate students may remain in this temporary status while the required credentials are obtained until they complete 12 credits. Students who wish to earn a graduate degree must matriculate into a degree program as soon as possible but no later than the completion of 12 credits. Non-matriculated students who do not wish to receive a graduate degree are welcome to remain in this non-degree status indefinitely. Please be advised, however; that degrees are not conferred from non-matriculated status. Should non-matriculated students later desire to apply for full matriculation, only courses that are required for the degree program at the time of matriculation, up to 15 credits, may be transferable.

Change of Classification

In order to process a change of classification, such as non-matriculating to matriculating status, the graduate academic advisor must submit a Change of Curriculum and Status (CCS) request via the Advisor Visit Tracking (AVT) system.

See Change of Curriculum and Status.

Updated 9/24/18.