For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Enrollment Status


Enrollment at Drexel University is determined by admission into a program and attendance of courses or other official program activities. Students are asked to verify their enrollment at the beginning of each term. Students are also verified as enrolled when a term begins. A student's enrollment status at the University is quantified by the amount of credits they are registered for during a term.

Graduate Quarter Enrollment Classifications

  • Full-time Status – You will be classified as being full-time if you’re registered for 9 or more credits for a term.
  • Three-quarter-time Status – You will be classified as being three-quarter-time status if you have registered for 7 to 8.99 credits for a term.
  • Half-time Status – You will be classified as being half-time status if you have registered for 4.5 to 6.99 credits for a term.
  • Less than Half-time Status – You will be classified as being less than half-time status if you have registered for fewer than 4.49 credits for a term.

See Enrollment and Registration Policies.

Graduate students enrolled in quarter programs are considered to be matriculated for the academic year when they are registered full-time (9 or more credits for a term) for at least three quarters of the academic year, typically the fall, winter and spring terms. Graduate students who meet full-time enrollment for three quarters in the academic year are not required to register for the fourth quarter (summer term) in order to maintain full-time matriculated status*; however, a student’s summer term registration status should reflect their academic activities. Students engaged in full-time research should be registered for 9 quarter credits in the summer term, students engaged in half-time research should be registered for 4.5 quarter credits and students on a scheduled vacation term do not need to be registered. Vacation terms may be scheduled for the summer term, as permitted, or after three consecutive terms of enrollment.

*International Students on F-1 or J-1 Visas must maintain full-time registration status for all terms, unless otherwise approved by International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS). These students must contact ISSS prior to scheduling any vacation or leave time.

For questions about registration and enrollment status and any impact on billing, financial aid, etc. please contact Drexel Central.

See Financial Aid Terms and Conditions for Graduate and Professional Studies.

Continuous Enrollment

A graduate student is required to maintain continuous enrollment, meaning he/she must register for each term in which they are active status at the University, unless they are on a scheduled vacation term (noted in the academic plan of study) or hey are on an official Leave of Absence from the University. Students are responsible for their enrollment status and must work with their graduate academic advisor to plan any vacation or an official Leave of Absence according to University policies.

See Leave of Absence.

Unofficial vacation or leave of absence time is not permitted, will not be honored retroactively and may have additional academic and financial implications. Inactive students will be required to reapply to the University.

In the case of extenuating circumstances, the graduate academic advisor should consult the Graduate College.

Program Completion & Graduation

Graduate students MUST be registered during the term in which they intend to complete their degree requirements.


Updated 1/12/21.