Teck-Kah Lim Graduate Student Travel Subsidy Award
The Graduate College and Graduate Student Association (GSA) of Drexel University offer a limited number of Teck-Kah Lim Graduate Student Travel Subsidy Awards annually to encourage graduate student participation in academic meetings and conferences held within the United States and territories (including Puerto Rico).* These awards not only strengthen the academic and professional skills of our students, preparing them to be leaders in their fields, but also increase the awareness of the exceptional graduate work happening at Drexel.
*Students intending to attend international meetings beyond the United States and territories should seek funding from the Office of Global Engagement and Education Abroad.
The Teck-Kah Lim Travel Award Fund was created in 2016 in honor of Teck-Kah Lim, PhD, Professor Emeritus of Physics and former Associate Vice Provost of Graduate Studies to expand conference travel opportunities for Drexel's graduate students. To donate to this fund, please visit the fund's giving page.
The award will have a maximum value of $600. Completed applications with all required materials are due at least six weeks before the meeting or conference begins. Students are only eligible for one award per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) which will be marked as the date the conference or meeting begins. A maximum of five awards will be given out for the same meeting or conference.
For conferences in all U.S. states except those listed below
Up to $600
Up to $400*
For conferences within Maryland, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts
Up to $400
Up to $300*
*Please note that these numbers have increased effective Fall Quarter 2019 (9/23/19).
The following applications will NOT be considered:
- From students who have already received a domestic travel subsidy from the Graduate College/GSA OR an international travel subsidy from the Office of Global Engagement and Education Abroad in the same fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).
- A late or incomplete application
- An application with an unrealistic/unnecessary budget
Qualifications & Conditions
To qualify, the applicant must be currently enrolled in a PhD, professional doctorate or master’s program at Drexel, in good academic standing, and invited to present an oral talk or poster at the meeting/conference. The presenting student must complete the InfoReady application linked below and submit all required materials listed below at least SIX WEEKS before the conference begins. Applications will be reviewed twice per month (usually the week of the 1st and 15th of each month). Applicants will be notified of any award via email within the appropriate time frame. Awards will be distributed in the form of reimbursement after the meeting/conference, not before. All required documents for reimbursement and the follow-up survey are due to the Graduate College/GSA within two weeks of the last day of travel. All awards are calculated and determined based on the following conditions:
- The type of participation and visibility at the conference (e.g. oral vs. poster presentation);
- The importance or potential impact of attending the conference (e.g. What may applicant learn/gain from attending this conference? How may applicant's presentation contribute to this conference?);
- Quality of abstract
Note: Unfortunately, accelerated degree (BS/MS) and semester program students are not eligible for this award.
In return for supporting recipients to present at their field-specific conference or meeting, the Graduate College and GSA require that recipients sign up to present at a future Scholars Share program to share their research and experience with the graduate community at Drexel. Please note that not all recipients will be selected to present at Scholars Share.
Applications must be completed online via the Drexel Funding Portal (InfoReady). Applications are accepted on a rolling basis but they must be submitted at least six weeks before the meeting/conference begins. A decision will be rendered via email within the appropriate time frame. To apply, please complete the InfoReady application (includes Applicant Information, Meeting/Conference Details, Estimated Expenses, Amount Requested, Other Sources of Funding and Agreement). In addition, please submit the following five REQUIRED supplemental materials in PDF:
- One-page personal statement explaining the relevance and importance of attending the meeting/conference ad nature of presentation (please be at detailed as possible)
- Statement of support from your graduate faculty advisor or a faculty members you work with, including justification for attendance, confirmation of student’s full-time graduate enrollment status and confirmation of any other sources of funding, including potential or pending sources of funding, for this meeting/conference
- Proof of your presentation's acceptance at this conference, such as an email (if available at time of application or as soon as possible after via email)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae (CV)
See two examples of personal statements: Sample #1 [PDF] and Sample #2 [PDF].
Failure to submit all materials on time and in PDF will delay a decision, or result in a declined application.
Awards are distributed in the form of reimbursement via a Check Request after the conference and only if/when all of the following required documentation and all itemized receipts for meeting/conference-related expenses to the Graduate College within two weeks of the last day of travel:
- Award Email Notification: Please provide a copy of your award notification email from InfoReady confirming the award amount
- Original Receipts/Invoices: Please ask for separate and itemized receipts. Please write-in any added tips, if applicable. Small receipts must be attached/taped to separate sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper for scanning purposes. Only receipts originating online or in an email format can be scanned/emailed. Original receipts can be scanned/emailed initially but must also be submitted in person or via mail for verification.
- Credit Card Statement: Showing all transactions related to the conference. Please cross or block out all account numbers, balances or other private information which we do not need for the purpose of this reimbursement.
- Check Request Form Reimbursement Form [PDF]: Complete sections 1 and 2 and fill in your student ID number. Students who are employed by Drexel (i.e. already on Payroll) will receive a direct deposit.
- Survey Completion: Summarizing your experience and including presentation photos or headshots. Please mention any awards, honors, highlights, impact, accomplishments, etc.
Please refer to the Business Mileage Reimbursement Policy for requested reimbursement for personal vehicle mileage for travel for the purpose of travel to and from the conference or meeting. Gas receipts will not be considered. Please submit a copy of a map, such as from Google Maps, with the route to and from each destination and mileage totals for each.
Please email all documentation to email@example.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Graduate College of Drexel University at 215.895.0366 or firstname.lastname@example.org.