Teck-Kah Lim Graduate Student Travel Subsidy Award
The Graduate College and Graduate Student Association (GSA) of Drexel University offer a limited number of Teck-Kah Lim Graduate Student Travel Subsidy Awards annually to encourage graduate student participation in academic meetings and conferences held within the United States and territories (including Puerto Rico).* These awards not only strengthen the academic and professional skills of our students, preparing them to be leaders in their fields, but also increase the awareness of the exceptional graduate work happening at Drexel.
*Students intending to attend international meetings beyond the United States and territories should seek funding from the Office of Global Engagement and Education Abroad.
The Teck-Kah Lim Travel Award Fund was created in 2016 in honor of Teck-Kah Lim, PhD, Professor Emeritus of Physics and former Associate Vice Provost of Graduate Studies to expand conference travel opportunities for Drexel's graduate students. To donate to this fund, please visit the fund's giving page.
The award will have a maximum value of $600. Completed applications with all required materials are due at least one month before the meeting or conference begins. Students are only eligible for one award per fiscal year (July 1 through June 30). A maximum of five awards will be given out for the same meeting or conference.
For conferencesin all U.S. states except those listed below
Up to $600
Up to $300
For conferences within Maryland, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts
Up to $400
Up to $200
The following applications will NOT be considered:
- From students who have already received a domestic travel subsidy from the Graduate College/GSA OR an international travel subsidy from the Office of Global Engagement and Education Abroad in the same fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).
- A late or incomplete application
- An application with an unrealistic/unnecessary budget
Qualifications & Conditions
To qualify, the applicant must be currently enrolled in a PhD/doctoral or master’s quarter program at Drexel, in good academic standing, and presenting an oral presentation or poster at the meeting/conference. The presenting student must complete this application and submit all required materials listed below at least one month before the conference begins. Applicants will be notified of any award via email. Awards will be distributed in the form of reimbursement after the meeting/conference. A follow up PowerPoint slide and all required documents for reimbursement are due to the Graduate College/GSA within two weeks of the last day of travel. All awards are calculated and determined based on the following conditions:
- The type of participation and visibility in the conference (e.g. oral vs. poster presentation);
- The importance for applicant to attend this conference (e.g. What may applicant learn/gain from attending this conference? How may applicant's presentation contribute to this conference?);
- Quality of abstract
Note: Unfortunately, accelerated degree (BS/MS) and semester program students are not eligible for this award.
In return for supporting recipients to present at their field-specific conference or meeting, the Graduate College and GSA require that recipients sign up to present at a future Scholars Share program to share their research and experience with the graduate community at Drexel. Please note that not all recipients will be selected to present at Scholars Share.
Please note that the application linked below is ONLY for travel before June 30, 2019. The 2019-2020 application will be available soon.
Applications must be completed online via the Drexel Funding Portal (InfoReady). Applications are accepted on a rolling basis but they must be submitted at least one month before the meeting/conference begins. A decision will be rendered via email. To apply, please complete the InfoReady application (includes Applicant Information, Meeting/Conference Details, Estimated Expenses, Amount Requested, Other Sources of Funding and Agreement). In addition, please submit the following five REQUIRED supplemental materials:
- One-page personal statement explaining the relevance and importance of attending the meeting/conference
- Statement of support from your Graduate Advisor, including justification for attendance, confirmation of student’s full-time graduate enrollment status and confirmation of any other sources of funding for this meeting/conference
- Proof of your presentation's acceptance at this conference, such as an email (if available at time of application or as soon as possible after via email)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Attached are two examples of personal statements: Sample #1 [PDF] and Sample #2 [PDF].
Awards are distributed in the form of reimbursement via a Check Request or Funding Transfer. Recipients who are receiving funding from Drexel departments/advisors will have the choice to follow the standard reimbursement procedures listed below or have their award transferred directly to their department/advisor via a Funding Transfer. Recipients will only be reimbursed if/when they submit all the following required documentation and receipts for meeting/conference-related expenses to the Graduate College within two weeks of the last day of travel:
- Original Receipts/Invoices: Please ask for separate and itemized receipts. Please write-in any added tips, if applicable. Small receipts must be attached/taped to separate sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper for scanning purposes. Only receipts originating online or in an email format can be scanned/emailed. Original receipts can be scanned/emailed initially but must also be submitted in person or via regular US snail mail for verification.
- Credit Card Statement: Showing all transactions related to the conference. Please block out any account numbers, balances or other private information.
- Check Request Form Reimbursement Form [PDF]: Complete sections 1 and 2 and fill in your student ID number. Students who are employed by Drexel (i.e. already on Payroll) will receive a direct deposit.
- Survey Completion: Summarizing your experience and including presentation photos or headshots. Please mention any awards, honors, highlights, etc.
Please email all documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Graduate College of Drexel University at 215.895.0366 or email@example.com.