For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Transfer Credit

This policy applies to Ph.D., Doctoral and Masters students transferring from an external institution or current students that take a course at another institution with prior permission from the student’s academic program.

Acceptance of transfer credit from approved, accredited institutions is often dependent on the pertinence of the work to the degree program being pursued. Coursework that lies outside the scope of the degree program is not necessarily applicable for degree credit. The request for acceptance of credits taken prior to matriculation in a graduate program at Drexel University must be made at the time of application for admission to the program and the courses must be explicitly indicated in the Application for Credit Transfer [PDF]. Students must provide an official transcript as evidence that the credits to be transferred are for graduate level courses. Such transfer credit will not be featured in the computation of the student’s grade point average.

The usual time a course from another institution may be valid for transfer is 5 years from the completion of the course until the time of matriculation. 

Graduate transfer credit must be approved by the graduate advisor of the program in which the student is enrolled and will be subject to the following restrictions: 

  • At least 30 graduate term credits (equivalent to 20 semester credits) of any master's degree program must be taken at Drexel. Similarly, for students admitted in post-baccalaureate status to a doctoral program, at least 75 graduate term credits of the degree must be taken at Drexel. Those with post-master’s status must take at least 45 credits at Drexel. 
  • A maximum of 15 credits may be transferred. 
  • All transfer credit must have a grade of B (3.00) or better. 

After matriculation, a student who wants to take a course off campus should submit a course syllabus to their Drexel graduate advisor to have it pre-approved. If the course can be included in the plan of study, the student may take the course off campus; if the grade is B or better, the student should submit the transcript to the graduate advisors for final approval. No graduate credit will be allowed for correspondence or extension work.

Updated 1/21/21.