Health Insurance Subsidy
The Graduate College covers the cost of the Drexel Student Health Insurance Plan through a subsidy program for full-time working doctoral students with qualifying assistantships/fellowships. This subsidy program does not include students in the College of Medicine or Kline School of Law.
Teaching Fellow (TF)
A teaching fellow is a full-time graduate student appointed (20 hours per week) to provide teaching or guidance of students directly related to the area in which his or her degree is to be conferred, and in which equivalent teaching is required of all candidates as a condition for receiving such a degree.
Research Fellow (RF)
A Research Fellow is a full-time academic appointment (20 hours per week) focused on thesis or other degree-related research of a type that is required from all candidates for the degree. The research project for an RF directly supports the student’s thesis or dissertation.
Graduate Assistant (GA)
A Graduate Assistant is a full-time graduate student appointed (20 hours per week) to assist faculty in the areas of administration, teaching, and/or research for the primary benefit of the University.
National Research Service Award (N.R.S.A) Pre-Doctoral Fellow
National Research Service Award (N.R.S.A.) Pre-Doctoral Fellow is an individual with a baccalaureate degree and is enrolled in and training at the post-baccalaureate level in a program leading to a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Doctor of Science (ScD) degree or a combined clinical degree and PhD such as MD/PhD.
Students must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for the Graduate College health insurance subsidy:
- Full-time academic enrollment in a doctoral program;
- And, a qualified assistantship/fellowship appointment.
Students will not be eligible for this health insurance subsidy IF:
- Their appointment already provides health insurance coverage as part of their compensation package;
- And/or, they choose to utilize any plan other than the Drexel Student Health Insurance Plan.
Full-time assistantship/fellowship appointment terms (i.e. 20 hours per week for at least three quarters of the current academic year) will qualify for a full subsidy of the Drexel Student Health Insurance Plan.
Any full-time doctoral student who works less than three quarters during the academic year or less than the required full-time workload (20 hours per week) will receive a prorated subsidy. The prorated subsidy is equal to the percentage of work hours and/or length of appointment. Example: A 12-month appointment, with 10 hours per week workload is equal to 50% subsidy.
Assistantship/fellowship responsibilities that span classifications should be assigned at minimum 50% of the workload in each classification. Exceptions to this formula may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
Process & Deadlines
To secure a health insurance subsidy for Academic Year 2023-2024, please complete these two steps:
- Enroll in the Drexel Student Health Insurance plan online via the United Healthcare website by the deadlines posted on the Office of Health Insurance and Immunizations website. (Fall Quarter Deadline: September 30, 2023)
- Request that your department program manager or graduate advisor send a copy of your appointment/renewal letter for AY 2023-2024 to the Graduate College at firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
- Please note that the Graduate College will not accept appointment letters directly from graduate students.
- Department program managers/graduate advisors can request a template from the Graduate College at email@example.com.
Adding a Dependent
If you are adding a dependent(s) to your plan, which will exceed the cost of the subsidy, and you would like to opt in for automatic payroll deduction over a period of time to cover the additional cost, please complete the form below and submit it to the Graduate College by the deadline above.
Doctoral Health Insurance Subsidy Payroll Deduction Form [PDF]
Important: If you are leaving the University and wish to end your Drexel Student Health Insurance Plan coverage early, please contact the Office of Health Insurance and Immunizations at firstname.lastname@example.org. Without an assistantship, you will be responsible for the remainder of the premium.
If you have questions about this subsidy, please contact the Graduate College at email@example.com.
If you have any questions about health insurance or immunizations that are not related to this subsidy, please visit the Office of Health Insurance and Immunizations website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.