Drexel Emerging Graduate Scholars Conference
Wednesday, April 13 & Thursday, April 14, 2022
The Graduate Student Association (GSA), in partnership with the Graduate College and Office of Research and Innovation, will host the sixth annual Drexel Emerging Graduate Scholars (DEGS) Conference, a free, student-run, University-wide conference highlighting Drexel's graduate student research enterprise.
All students, postdocs, faculty, professional staff, alumni, and guests of the University will be invited to attend. Theme and format is TBD but will likely be a combination of in person and virtual programming.
Join the 2022 DEGS Conference Planning Committee
Calling all Drexel graduate students, faculty and professional staff, postdocs, and alumni!
The Graduate College and Graduate Student Association is seeking volunteers to serve on the 2022 Drexel Emerging Graduate Scholars (DEGS) Conference Planning Committee! The 2022 DEGS Conference is scheduled to take place on the University City campus, with some opportunities for remote/virtual engagement, April 13-14, 2022!
Planning committee members will engage in one or more the following activities:
- Meet periodically (mostly virtual) to plan the 2022 conference
- Help select and implement an overall theme
- Brainstorm and select a keynote speaker and provide overall themes/suggested topics for the keynote
- Brainstorm pre-conference workshop topics, presenters, schedule sessions, and help promote registration
- Brainstorm other conference sessions, panels, receptions, awards ceremony, and ideas for both in-person and remote engagement
- Help reach out to students, faculty, professional staff, postdocs, and alumni to participate in various aspects of the conference
- Help reach out to potential sponsors for financial and other support
- Assist with developing and managing the abstract submission, peer review, selection and scheduling process, assisting students with any questions/concerns about preparing materials
- Assist with reaching out to and onboarding faculty, professional staff, postdoc, and alumni judges per session
- Put together the judging process, including rubrics, score form, instructions, etc.
- Determine awards to be distributed (and budget)
- Think through space, A/V needs, catering, giveaways, supplies, awards, and help submit orders/requests via Event Services, Chestnut Street Catering, etc.
- Help with day-of responsibilities, attendee, judge and presenter check-in, volunteering/staffing, etc.
- Assist presenters and participants day-of, help set up A/V, troubleshoot technology or space issues, etc.
If you are interested in participating, please complete this Qualtrics form.
Questions? Contact the GSA E-Board at email@example.com.
Save the date for the 2022 DEGS Conference and look out for the call for abstracts for posters, oral talks, Drexel’s very own Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition, judges, pre-conference workshop opportunities, and more to follow in early 2022! Check back!
About the Conference
The annual conference provides opportunities for graduate students to participate in professional development workshops, showcase their research (at any level) to those outside of their academic discipline, engage with student peers, postdocs, alumni, faculty and professional staff from across the University and compete for monetary awards.
2022 Conference Highlights
- Keynote speaker
- Graduate student research poster presentations and oral research presentations
- Drexel's own Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition, based on the international Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition founded by the University of Queensland
- Choose-your-own professional development workshops
- Opportunities for professional networking and engagement
- Distribution of monetary awards
- More TBA
2022 Conference Schedule
Check back in 2022!
2022 Conference Planning Committee
- Co-Chair: London Thompson, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Graduate Student Association & EdD student in Educational Leadership and Management, School of Education
- Co-Chair: Joseph Arrington, Academic Chair, Graduate Student Association & Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) student, LeBow College of Business
- Sandra Strang, Director of Communications and Events, Graduate College
- Reina Lopez, Manager, Events and Conferences, Drexel University Online
- Michelle Layone, Coordinator, Events and Conferences, Drexel University Online
- Kimberly David-Chung, Assistant Vice President, Virtual Student Experience, Drexel University Online, Student Life and Graduate College
- Natalie Chernets, Director of Postdoctoral Affairs & Professional Development
- Melissa Richman, Executive Director of Online and Graduate Financial Services and Planning, Graduate College
- Emily Geschke, Executive Director, Student Life, Campus Engagement, Enrollment Management, and Student Success
- Jennifer Tifone, Assistant Director, Finance and Administration, Enrollment Management & Student Success
- The Executive Board of the Graduate Student Association
- The Professional Staff of the Graduate College
- The Professional Staff of Drexel University Online
If you have a documented disability and would like to request accommodations, please contact Disability Resources at 215.895.1401 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We greatly appreciate 72 hours of advance notice for these requests.
Visit the conference archive
for a list of participants, awardees, photos and videos from previous conferences.
Support the Conference
Click to Make a Gift and help support this annual student-run conference, now in its fourth year. Read conference testimonials.