Teaching Assistant Orientation and Preparation Course
The Teaching Assistant Orientation and Preparation Course (GRAD T580) are offered once per year in the fall and are required for all new and incoming graduate Teaching Assistants (TAs)/Teaching Fellows (TFs). Training begins with a two-day orientation, or pre-term workshops, followed by the TA Preparation Course, GRAD T580, which is a free, one-credit special topics course that meets a select number of times during the fall quarter. Please refer to the syllabus linked below for more information.
In addition to the orientation and prep course, TAs/TFs are encouraged to attend teaching workshops for additional discussion and professional development in teaching, learning and other relevant topics for graduate students.
Student Learning Outcomes
Through participation in this course, the teaching assistants/fellows will be able to identify and articulate:
- The nature and importance of their roles as "teachers" within the Graduate College;
- The importance of clear and measured objectives for lessons, tutoring and other activities and the ability to assess them;
- The importance of designing assessments (formative and summative) that provide evidence of the achievement of lesson goals;
- The expectations and needs of a diverse student population and the instructional teaching techniques and strategies for meeting these needs;
- Effective styles of communication and interactions with instructors, students and peers;
- The importance of being a reflective practitioner;
- The many and varied support services available on the University level for them and for their students. These include the Office of Equality and Diversity/ Disability Services, the Counseling Center, etc.
2020 Virtual TA Orientation (Required)
Day 1 - Thursday, September 17, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. EDT
Microsoft Outlook meeting invitation with Zoom access information will be emailed to new, incoming TAs/TFs
2020 TA Prep Course Sessions (Required)
2020 TA Prep Course Workshops (At Least 1 Required)
In addition to the orientation and prep course sessions above, all new, incoming TAs/TFs will be required to attend at least one of the following workshops during the 2020 fall quarter. Please indicate which workshop(s) you will attend by emailing us at email@example.com.
2020 Course Materials
If you have any questions about the TA Orientation or Prep Course or if you are unable to attend for any reason, please contact the Graduate College at firstname.lastname@example.org.