Certificate in College Teaching
About the Certificate
The non-credit Certificate in College Teaching provides Drexel University graduate students and postdocs with the experience and credentials to help them become more effective instructors in higher education or to prepare for careers outside academia that involve training or teaching. This non-credit program is designed for participants with a range of teaching experiences. It has the flexibility to meet the needs of our diverse participants and to provide a structure within which participants can develop pedagogical skills and best practices and formally document their professional development. The completion of this program recognizes participants’ commitment to effective teaching and culminates in the development of a statement of teaching philosophy or teaching portfolio.
The certificate was initially developed in 2021 by the Teaching and Learning Center, Graduate College, Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and Professional Development, and Online Learning Council. Since the launch, the Teaching and Learning Center has successfully led this program with continued collaboration with the Graduate College and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and Professional Development. With organizational shifts, the University Council on Online Quality and Standards (UCOQS) is also providing collaboration. In addition, schools and colleges across the University, as well as the Lindy Center and CASTLE, provide support in preparing the next generation of higher education faculty.
Seats are limited, apply early. Participation in the 2023-2024 program is free!
Download the Certificate Program Flyer [PDF]
2023-2024 Eligibility Requirements
- Current graduate student or postdoc at Drexel University with a graduation or position end date in May 2024 or beyond (Unfortunately, students graduating before May 2024, i.e fall 2023 or winter 2024 are not eligible to apply.)
- No teaching experience required
Each one-week mini-course is offered asynchronously. The mini-courses include reading materials, video lectures, and a VoiceThread discussion. Approximate time commitment is two-three hours. Participants need to complete all five mini-courses. Additionally, participants will choose two more professional development workshops from across Drexel or other partner programs and write a self-reflection. Lastly, the participants will engage in three meetings with an approved mentor throughout the course of the program.
By applying, you agree to participate in all the workshops and submit relevant assignments.
Required Application Questions & Materials
- Start date and anticipated graduation or postdoctoral position end date
- Number of courses taught as the instructor of record (at Drexel or elsewhere), including any courses your are currently teaching or co-teaching, in person or online
- Open-Ended Question: What type of teaching do you hope to gain in your future career? (Max 250 words)
- Open-Ended Question: Please tell us what you hope to achieve from participating in this certificate program and how the experience will contribute to your professional goals/aspirations? (Approximately 300-500 words)
- Open-Ended Question: Please describe your experience with Blackboard as an online teaching/learning platform or other online teaching platforms. (Max 250 words)
- Required Upload: Resume/CV
The 2023-2024 application is closed. Check back in summer 2024 for the 2024-2024 application!
Foundational Track – Fall through Spring 2023-2024
The Foundational Track is designed to introduce participants to essential pedagogical concepts and practices. The Foundational Track guides participants in the development of teaching materials and teaching philosophy and provides participants with peer-to-peer feedback through micro-teaching.
Participants who complete this track will be able to:
- Design more inclusive and effective learning activities and assessments
- Apply evidence-based practices to their teaching
- Engage in reflective teaching
- Articulate their philosophy of teaching
To earn the Certificate for College Teaching, participants must apply for the program, be selected and complete all of the components listed in the certificate schedule by the noted deadline.
Download the 2023-2024 Certificate Schedule [PDF]