Academic News and Key Reminders for Graduate Students - Winter 2022
January 3, 2022
Happy New Year! Welcome new graduate students and welcome back returning students!
As we begin the winter term, the Graduate College would like to remind you of a few important academic policies, dates, deadlines and resources to help you navigate your academic program. We recommend you bookmark this information for future reference.
Please continue to refer to Drexel’s Response to Coronavirus website for the latest guidance, FAQs, and for contact information should you have any questions.
Graduate College Operations
The Graduate College office space on the 3rd floor of the Main Building (Main 301) will continue to operate with a limited staff and be open for student services between 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. Please contact us via email at email@example.com for questions or to schedule an appointment. As a friendly reminder, there is no eating or drinking in the Graduate College office space in Main 301. Any beverages should be taken to go and enjoyed in a designated eating area.
The Graduate Student Lounge on the lower level of Main Building (Main 010A) is open 24/7 and accessible to all graduate students via their DragonCard ID. Students are welcome to use the lounge space for social gathering, studying, eating, and events. Students may briefly remove masks to consume food and beverage in the lounge as it is considered a designated eating area. More information about the lounge is available on the Graduate College website. Please note that new students will get access to the lounge during the first week of classes.
Academic Dates & Deadlines
Please refer to the Academic Calendars on the Provost’s website for all academic dates and deadlines which are subject to change. You should also consult with your individual college or school officials and graduate academic advisor(s) for additional dates, deadlines and requirements.
Winter Quarter Dates & Deadlines:
Monday, January 3 – Classes Begin*
As announced on Dec. 30th, the first two weeks of the winter quarter and some spring semester programs (Week of January 3 & 10) will be conducted in a remote synchronous format. Please continue to check your Drexel email and refer to Drexel’s Response to Coronavirus website for the latest guidance.
Wednesday, January 5 by 4 p.m. ET – Deadline to Submit a Graduate Program Completion Form for Fall Quarter Graduates (Required for doctoral and some Master’s thesis programs)
Friday, January 7 – Deadline to Confirm Your Enrollment in your DrexelOne
Friday, January 7 – Deadline to Add/Drop a Course with Academic Advisor Assistance*
Sunday, January 9 by 11:59 p.m. ET – Deadline to Add/Drop a Course in your DrexelOne*
Monday, January 17 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (University Holiday)
Monday, January 31 – Deadline to Submit an Application for Degree in your DrexelOne for Winter Quarter Graduation
Week of February 7 – Spring Quarter Registration Begins (Review Your Time Ticket Information)
Friday, February 18 – Deadline to Withdraw from a Course with Academic Advisor Assistance*
Saturday, March 12 – Last Day of Classes*
Monday, March 14 – Term Examinations Begin*
Saturday, March 19 – Term Examinations End*
Saturday, March 19 – Winter Quarter Degree Conferral Date (Date that appears on diploma)
Friday, March 25 – Academic Standing Notices Sent (See Graduate Academic Standing Policy)
*For part of term and semester dates and deadlines, please refer to Drexel’s Academic Calendars.
Academic Policies & Procedures
Please refer to the academic policies and procedures listed on both the Provost’s and Graduate College websites. Additional policies are outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, including the Academic Integrity policy and conduct process. All students should be aware of and knowledgeable of these policies and procedures. Please review frequently for updates.
International students (F-1 and J-1) should refer to the latest updates, policies and information on the International Students & Scholars Services (ISSS) website.
Please review the following policies:
Reminder: Required Online Title IX Training
If you have not already completed the REQUIRED online training module entitled, "Drexel U Got This! - Grad Student Training", a sexual and gender-based harassment and misconduct prevention program, please do so ASAP by Monday, January 31, 2022 to be compliant with the University's policies for the 2021-2022 Academic Year. The training will help you understand your right to a discrimination and harassment-free learning environment, as well as your role in contributing to Drexel’s inclusive environment. Those who are out of compliance will receive additional communication from college/school officials.
Resources & Opportunities for Graduate Students
- Visit Drexel University’s Information Technology (DUIT) website to get connected or to contact the IT Help Desk.
- Review Drexel’s Information Security team resources, best practices and available training.
- Get acquainted with Drexel Learn, Drexel’s fully-supported learning management system and Zoom video conferencing.
- Visit the Business Services website for information about obtaining or updating your DragonCard photo ID, parking, and campus dining and retail services.
- Review Campus Maps and Directions.
- Review the commuter and off-campus student resources offered by Student Life, including transportation information, computer labs and printing, and lockers.
- Review the information on the Public Safety website, including walking escorts and emergency phone numbers you should save in your phone.
- Visit the Drexel University Libraries website for the latest updates, as well as fully online resources and services.
- The Center for Learning and Academic Success Services (CLASS) offers peer and professional academic coaching for graduate students, as well as virtual and on-campus academic workshops.
- The Drexel Writing Center provides support through its Graduate Writing Consultants for all writing projects.
- Students seeking information or accommodations for a documented disability should register with Disability Resources. Also see information about policies and reporting from the Office of Equality and Diversity (OED).
- Learn more about our Diversity Advisory Council and Drexel’s Anti-Racism Task Force.
- Learn more about Drexel 2030 – Designing the Future strategic plan implementation and submit your questions, feedback, and ideas.
- Review Drexel’s compliance and privacy services and compliance hotline and website.
- The Steinbright Career Development Center (SCDC) offers one-on-one career counseling and professional pointers, including tips for international students. Set up your Handshake account to browse job full- and part-time job openings and internships, and network with employers. Save the date for the Virtual Engineering & Technology Career Fair February 1 & 2 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. each day, the Virtual Health Professions Career Fair February 15 4-7 p.m., and attend a career fair prep workshop! Contact Jillian Clark, Career Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about Drexel’s Career Fairs.
- Students seeking information about applying for competitive national and international fellowships, such as Fulbright, should consult Fellowships Advising.
- Utilize the Health and Wellness Resources available for graduate students, including SupportLinc, our newest 24/7 support service for graduate students, their families, and household members.
- Sign up to share your graduate work, research and experience virtually with peers at the Graduate College & Graduate Student Association’s monthly Scholars Share program.
- Invited to present your work at a meeting or conference, including virtually/online? Apply for a Teck-Kah Lim Graduate Student Travel Subsidy Award.
- Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply for the GSA’s Health Insurance Deductible Subsidy for up to $100 back toward their Drexel Aetna student health insurance deductible.
- Save the date for the Drexel Emerging Graduate Scholars (DEGS) Conference April 13 & 14, 2022 and join the planning committee!
- Join the GSA Academic Affairs Committee!
- More Graduate College News & Events- Check back periodically for updates!
Don’t hesitate to reach out to the Graduate College if you have any questions or concerns. We are here to support you throughout your graduate education at Drexel.
Best wishes for a successful term!