International Students and Scholars Services
Where the World Meets Drexel
Welcome to Drexel University and welcome to the office of International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS). ISSS offers a vast array of programs and services to approximately 3,500+ international students, scholars, and faculty representing 120+ different countries. The ISSS staff works to promote meaningful interaction between United States Citizens and nationals of other countries by organizing culturally enriching opportunities for all members of the Drexel community. A student's affiliation with ISSS begins immediately after the admission process and continues well beyond graduation. ISSS staff can advise international students, scholars and faculty on immigration, cultural, financial, academic, and personal concerns, and makes appropriate referrals when necessary.
Current ISSS Operations: Primarily Virtual, Office Open Limited Hours
Students can schedule a virtual or in-person appointment with an International Student Advisor by signing into DrexelOne and navigating to the My Success Team channel. Scholars and foreign national employees can schedule a virtual or in-person appointment with the ISSS Executive Director by sending an appointment request to email@example.com.
General Travel Advice
In light of the ongoing pandemic, we strongly advise all international students and scholars to consider only urgent international travel and postpone any unnecessary departure from the United States, as you may not be able to obtain the necessary permission to return to the U.S. even if you have a valid visa stamp. If you, however, decide to travel you should carefully monitor health-related travel restrictions at your travel destination(s) and for return to the U.S. Please note that there are reports of long mandatory quarantines upon arrival in certain countries. Be aware that various travel restrictions may have an impact on your ability to return to the U.S. to resume your studies (students) or work/research (scholars) in January. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns.
Resources for New International Students
If you will be departing the United States, you must have the proper documents in order to re-enter so you can continue your time here at Drexel.
- Valid I-20 or DS-2019 – You will need a valid I-20 or DS-2019 if your program has not ended and you are in good standing with the ISSS office.
- Valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 – Travel signatures are valid for one year from the date of last signature in most cases. There is an exception for F1 students on OPT. For students on OPT, travel signatures are valid for six months from the date of last signature. The travel signature is on the second page of your I-20 or the front page of your DS-2019.
- Valid (Unexpired) U.S. Visa – Please visit the U.S. Visas website if you are traveling to Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island with an expired visa. ISSS can provide a support letter for renewing your visa, if needed. If you are renewing your visa, be sure that you have enough time to do this during break. If you will not have enough time to renew your visa, it is not advised that you leave the United States.
- Valid passport (valid for at least six months)
- Unofficial transcript – ISSS recommends that Drexel students carry an unofficial transcript printed from DrexelOne.
If you have departed the U.S. without a signature or have a question about your travel, please email email@example.com.