Housed in our Data Science program, Drexel CCI's new Introduction to Data Science Graduate Certificate is designed for professionals of all backgrounds who would like to learn how to manage and leverage data assets for decision making, problem solving, modeling and related activities. Offered beginning fall 2021, this certificate program may be stacked with other CCI graduate certificates to customize your education and/or serve as an entry point to Master of Science degrees in Data Science, Human-Computer Interaction & User Experience (UX), Digital Content Management, or Library & Information Science.
Intro to Data Science Program Requirements
Intro to Data Science Certificate Program Coursework
Three required core courses (9 credits):
- CS 570 Programming Foundations: Develops an understanding of the principles behind and skill in the practice of programming. For both students with no programming experience and those with a small amount of programming experience, this course will bring them up to speed and prepare them for graduate study in Computer Science.
- DSCI 511 Data Acquisition and Pre-Processing: Introduces the breadth of data science through a project lifecycle perspective. Covers early-stage data-life cycle activities in depth for the development and dissemination of data sets. Provides technical experience with data harvesting, acquisition, pre-processing, and curation. Concludes with an open-ended term project where students explore data availability, scale, variability, and reliability.
- INFO 659 Introduction to Data Analytics: Provides an overview of data analytics foundations and techniques for information professionals. Introduces fundamental concepts and theories of data and data science. Discusses methods and techniques of data representation, data analysis, and data visualization. Covers a range of tools and systems that can be used to discover insight and derive values from data.
Two electives courses (6 credits - choose any two below):
- Sample elective courses: INFO 605 Database Management Systems; INFO 623 Social Network Analytics; INFO 648 Healthcare Informatics; INFO 712 Information Assurance; INFO 725 Information Policy and Ethics; CS 500 Fundamentals of Databases; CS 590 Privacy
Curriculum subject to change, pending Drexel Faculty Senate approval.
- Graduate application for the on-campus program or the online program
- A four-year bachelor's degree in any major from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution.
- 3.0 GPA in a prior completed degree, BA/BS and above.
- Official final transcripts including a bachelor's degree conferred from a regionally accredited institution and/or World Education Services (WES) Course-by-Course Evaluation of foreign transcripts.
- One (1) letter of recommendation required, two (2) suggested (academic, professional, or both).
- Essay/Statement of Purpose: in approximately 500 words, describe what professional goals you hope to achieve, how an advanced degree facilitates that success and anything else you want the Admissions Review Board to know about you.
- Current Resume.
- Additional requirements for International Students.
Additional Certificates and Minors in Data Science Available
CCI also offers graduate data science certificates (available online or on campus) in Applied Data Science, Big Data Analytics, Computational Data Science, and Applied Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning for Data Science.
For current graduate students who are interested in gaining data science knowledge to complement their master's degree, the College offers graduate minors inComputational Data Science and Applied Data Science.