CCI's Premier Summer Program: Drexel University Digital Development Camp
The Drexel University Digital Development Camp is a two-and-a-half-week virtual summer program led by College of Computing & Informatics (CCI) faculty and student leaders. The 2022 camp session is scheduled for Monday, July 11 through Thursday, July 28, 2022. The camp is open to rising high school juniors, seniors and accepted CCI students with an emphasis on building a camper cohort that is demographically balanced.
Digital Development Camp students choose between three tracks:
- The FullStack track gives aspiring developers the opportunity to learn about full stack web development. FullStack includes front-end design, human-computer interface and user experience, back end development including data integration. This track includes daily lessons, workshops, guest speakers and individual/group work time. Campers work in teams to plan and develop a web site of their own.
- The Cybersecurity track provides a summer cybersecurity camp experience for students. The goals of the program are to increase interest in cybersecurity careers and diversity in the cybersecurity workforce of the nation, help all students understand correct and safe online behavior and how they can be good digital citizens. This track includes daily lessons, workshops, guest speakers and individual/group work time. Campers will complete a series of projects that will teach them about cybersecurity.
- New for 2022: the Data Science track uses computing for social good as a springboard for student led projects using publicly available data to address relevant issues in a particular community. Student teams will choose a community and issue to address then find data, analyze it, create a data visualization and write a report on the findings. Data science includes statistics, database basics, data analysis tools and effective presentation skills. This track includes daily lessons, workshops, guest speakers and group work time. Campers work in teams to plan and develop a data science project.
- Monday, July 11 to Thursday, July 28, 2022 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. EDT (Monday-Thursday) hybrid (in-person & online) format with a dedicated Blackboard Ultra Classroom site.
- Cost: $600; lunch and educational supplies are included
- Beginner friendly; no experience needed.
- Eligibility: Rising high school juniors and seniors, as well as incoming Drexel CCI students who have interest in (but not limited to) computer science, software engineers, cybersecurity, data science and programming.
- A balanced schedule including live instruction, peer collaboration and self-paced project development per day.
- Learn about the College and Drexel during special informational sessions for attendees and parents, with direct access to CCI faculty, professional staff and student leaders.
- Maximum of eight students per instructor, blending personalized learning and time to socialize with new friends.
- Registration to open in late winter/early spring 2022.
Camp Timeline and Important Dates
- Late Winter/Early Spring 2022 – Registration Opens
- Registration Deadline: Rolling admissions through June 27, 2022 (application review begins Feb. 1, 2022)
- Monday, July 11, 2022 – Camp Begins
- Thursday, July 28, 2022 – Camp Ends
Students in previous Digital Development Camp session reported that they felt more confident in their Web development skills, and were inspired to learn more and pursue studies — and potentially a future career — in computing. Our campers shared the following testimonials about their experience:
- "Coming into this camp, I had a basic understanding of HTML and CSS but had never created a website using the languages. Over the course of this camp, I was able to gain a working knowledge of these languages and feel more comfortable in my ability to succeed in this field. This was especially beneficial because I hope to become a front-end developer in the future."
- "Before I came to this camp, I had only heard of HTML and CSS but personally never used them before. I was really nervous coming to the camp because I wasn’t sure how much I could contribute to the group. However, throughout the two weeks here, I continuously learned more and more through workshops, the counselors, and my teammates, and now feel as though I have a solid foundation in the two languages."
- "Through this camp I learned how to use HTML and CSS in a different way. It was also interesting to learn how to use a different collaborative browser-based IDE to code in other than the one I used in school. I learned a lot more about styling websites and how to make them more user friendly than I had in school as well. Next year I am taking Computer Science III Honors and I will definitely use my new skills to better my websites."
Learn More About Previous Digital Development Camp Projects
For additional information or any questions, please email us at CCISummerPrograms@drexel.edu.