Pennsylvania Enhanced Background Certification (PEBC)
The Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law (CPSL) requires institutions of higher education to obtain background checks for any individuals having direct contact or direct volunteer contact with minors. PEBC includes the following clearances: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check, and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal Background Check.
Table of Contents
Who Needs the Pennsylvania Enhanced Background Certification?
Depending on the individual's role with minors, the PEBC may be obtained for either "employment" or "volunteer" purposes, processed through Department of Education or Department of Human Services for FBI, and will either be paid by Drexel or the individual. The HR Compliance Team will reach out to individuals needing the PEBC via an email from email@example.com. The email will contain unique payment codes and should not be forwarded to anyone else.
If you believe you need the PEBC but do not have an instruction email to reference, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with an explanation of your affiliation to Drexel University and your upcoming interaction(s) with minors. HR Compliance serves the following population:
- Finalist Candidates: Finalist candidates whose positions are marked as having interaction with minors in PageUp should receive an instruction email from email@example.com.
- Current Employees Needing Renewal: Depending on their job duties, current employees may need renewal after a period of five years from the oldest clearance. They will receive an instruction email from firstname.lastname@example.org or can reach out to start the process.
- Non-employee Associates: If you are a Non-Employee Associate, or representing a department hosting a Non-Employee Associate, who will interact with minors, please contact email@example.com with an explanation of your interaction with minors.
- Independent Contractors: The Office of Tax Compliance forwards all Independent Contractor agreements marked as interacting with minors to HR Compliance for a determination of whether the PEBC is needed. If the PEBC is needed, the Independent Contractor will receive an instruction email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteers/Interns: All volunteers and interns are routed through HR Compliance for a determination of whether the PEBC is needed. If the PEBC is needed, the volunteer or intern will receive an instruction email from email@example.com.
- Minors Programs: Under the Protection of Minors policy, all members of the University must complete and submit the Minors Program Registration survey before the start of any program, activity, service or event involving minors, on or off campus or in a virtual setting. For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. A minors program must be registered before the PEBC process can begin. Members of the university who are planning a future minors program and want to get started on the PEBC ahead of registration may contact email@example.com to inquire about starting the process.
- Self-Pay Volunteer through Lindy Center for Civic Engagement: Students and employees who need to pay for the PEBC on their own to engage with a Lindy Center for Civic Engagement volunteer opportunity with minors should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- School of Education Field Placement: School of Education students completing the PEBC for field placement purposes should visit the School of Education's Required Clearances for Field Experience page and contact SOEclearances@drexel.edu with any questions.
Pennsylvania Enhanced Background Certification at a Glance
Human Resources would like to highlight that these are state forms and may not be inclusive of all genders, races or ethnicities. When you receive your specific instructions from Human Resources, you will also receive a link to a consent form; this must be on file before results can be processed.
|Purpose of PEBC
||Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
||Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
||Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal Background Check
||$13 Paid by Drexel / Instructions
|$22 Paid by Drexel / Human Resources Will Obtain
||$26.25 (Includes a $1 Fee for Payment Code) Paid by Drexel / Instructions / Fingerprinting Available on Campus
||$0 / Instructions
|$0 / Instructions
If Drexel Sponsored: $26.25* (Includes a $1 Fee for Payment Code) Paid by Drexel / Instructions / Fingerprinting Available on Campus
If Self Pay:
$25.25* Paid by Individual / Instructions
/ Fingerprinting Available on Campus
*If you have lived for the entirety of the previous 10 years exclusively in PA, you must complete and submit a Volunteer Disclosure Form to be considered for an exemption.
HR Compliance Team:
Katie Regetta, Assistant Director, HR Compliance and Minors Coordinator
Jenna Paiano, HR Compliance Coordinator
Jane Greenwell, HR Compliance Specialist