Minors Program Registration Process
It is the policy of Drexel University that any activity involving minors, on or off campus, sponsored by Drexel University or by non-Drexel external entities, must be registered with the Minors Coordinator, Department of Human Resources, prior to the commencement of such activity. These include, but are not limited to: athletic camps, day care or early learning programs/centers, recreational camps, individual lessons, workshops, competitions, clinics, conferences, pre-enrollment visits, outreach programs, research studies and any program that employs minors affiliated with Drexel University. Programs that occur on a yearly basis will need to be resubmitted every year for review. Programs that run throughout the year will need to be resubmitted at the beginning of each Academic Year (late September).
Please see a general outline of what to expect during the Minors Program Registration process:
1. At least 30 days before the program, complete the Minors Program Registration Form. This should be completed by the Activity Coordinator of the event; please include any colleagues/management you wish for the Minors Coordinator to include in communications in Part 1 of the form. If you do not yet have a full list of participating adults, you may submit a partial list to be edited at a later date.
2. The Minors Registration Form will be sent to the Minors Coordinator at email@example.com. Please allow three days for a confirmation of receipt and next steps.
3. Each registered program is reviewed by the Minors Coordinator for determination of the following:
- Is the Pennsylvania Enhanced Background Certification (Child Abuse, Criminal, and FBI clearances) necessary?
- Is an “informed consent” necessary for minor participants?
- Does the Office of General Counsel need to be consulted?
- What is the role of external partners and are additional steps necessary?
- For minor volunteers/interns, what forms are necessary to have on file?
- For in-person activities, does a referral need to be made to Drexel’s Return Oversight Committee for approval and COVID-19 precautions?
- What additional risks need to be considered?
4. The Minors Coordinator will email the Activity Coordinator (and CC additional contacts) with next steps based on the determinations made in the step above. If there is no action needed, the Minors Coordinator will mark the program with a status of "approved". If the Pennsylvania Enhanced Background Certification is needed, the Minors Coordinator will review Banner to determine who has all clearances on file and the HR Compliance Team will launch the process for individuals needing clearances. The Activity Coordinator will receive a link to a shared Excel document which will be updated as individuals are fully cleared. All sensitive information, including potential record findings, is viewable to Human Resources only.
5. The Activity Coordinator and participants needing the Pennsylvania Enhanced Background Certification will work on assigned action items.
6. The Minors Coordinator will continually check-in with the Activity Coordinator until all actions items are complete at which time the program will be marked with a status of "approved". Programs that fail to complete action items will be marked with a status of "not in compliance".