No Particular Level
The Expressive & Creative Interaction Technologies (ExCITe) Center and Action for Early Learning (AFEL) seek a part-time Communications Assistant to promote and connect its programs, mission, goals, outcomes, events, and activities to a wide audience. ExCITe works to inspire transdisciplinary research which serves to further a relationship between technology and the community. ExCITe pursues innovative learning at the intersection of design, technology, and entrepreneurship, and houses faculty research labs, digital inclusion efforts, and multiple student groups. AFEL is a place-based collaboration of social service and education agencies and community stakeholders working to improve early childhood education outcomes for children and families in the West Philadelphia Promise Neighborhood, a US Department of Education funded anti-poverty program. The AFEL office space is located in the ExCITe Center.
ExCITe/AFEL are looking for an independent, motivated person who will rise to the challenge of promoting each program via a variety of communications strategies, including audio and visual media, press releases, and social media to attract and build community around the issues of transdisciplinary learning and innovation (ExCITe's mission) and the importance of quality early childhood education and education equity (AFEL's mission). This person will advance awareness of ExCITe/AFEL by helping to produce media and broadcasting news about our mission and work through social media with supervision from the Communications Manager. Experience with creating a cohesive narrative and expressing it through an audio-only format is helpful, as is experience with increasing understanding and amplifying messages via social media. This position has the opportunity to connect with University-wide initiatives as well as a variety of social service, education, tech and community programs and agencies, e.g. The Malcolm Jenkins Foundation, People's Emergency Center, The Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships, Academy of Natural Sciences and others.
Regular tasks will include:
- Assist ExCITe/AFEL teams with overall communications strategy
- Work with ExCITe/AFEL teams to brainstorm and implement creative awareness strategies aligned to each programs' mission and goals
- Manage and contribute ideas to support ExCITe/AFEL social media
- Identify opportunities to highlight components of each program
- Research and develop podcast topics
- Audio editing, social media planning and execution
- Edit and organize images or video files
- Assist at ExCITe and AFEL events
- Attend events for capturing photographs, connecting to community members, conducting grassroots interviews
- Schedule and perform interviews and discussions of key people in ExCITe/AFEL programs
- Compose press releases, media-related materials, promotional items, etc.
This position requires a diverse set of skills and attributes, including but not limited to:
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Fluency with various social media platforms, especially Twitter, Instagram
- Interest in new technology
- Graphic design experience
- Experience or interest in photography and image editing
- Self-motivated with excellent time and project management skills.
- Demonstrates strong interest in ExCITe and AFEL missions, public sector and community work
- Ability to travel/access public transportation in West Philadelphia neighborhoods
- Ability to work some evenings and Saturdays
This position would be shared between the ExCITe Center and AFEL which is located at 3401 Market St., Suite 100, as well as require outreach in West Philadelphia neighborhoods. The position schedule is flexible with approximately 10 to 15 hours per week.
Additional Application Instructions
Submission of a resume and cover letter outlining how your interests and skills align with the position as well as a writing sample is encouraged.
ExCITe Center & Action for Early Learning
ExCITe Center - 3401 Market Street, Suite 100