Visa Renewal

If your visa is expired while studying in the U.S., you should expect that the visa application and issuance procedures might have changed since you last obtained a visa.

Consular Policies and Procedures

Most U.S. Embassy and Consulate Websites offer information on these procedures, but be aware that websites may not have been updated to reflect recent changes in policies and procedures. The most current information can be obtained by contacting the consular office where you would like to apply for a visa.

Applying in a Country Where You Are Not a Citizen

If you would like to apply for a visa at a U.S. Consulate in a country that is not your country of citizenship, you should research the specific visa application requirements. You should also contact that consulate, inform them of your country of citizenship, and ask (1) if they will accept and consider your application, and (2) approximately how long it will take for the visa to be issued, if approved.

It is possible that it will be more difficult, and in some cases perhaps even impossible, to obtain a visa from a U.S. Consulate which is not located in your country of citizenship or lawful permanent residence.

Find out how long it will take to get a visa application appointment at a U.S. Consulate.

Required Application Documents

To renew your F-1 visa, you will need to submit certain documents to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (forms can be downloaded, or obtained from any U.S. Consulate). Please check at the American Embassy in your home country.

Preparations before you leave the U.S.

  • USCIS Form I-20 - You need to request a travel signature from the ISSS if you do not already have one, or if you have a travel signature that will be more than six months old at the time you wish to return to the U.S.
  • Drexel Certification of Enrollment– Request a support letter which will also verify that you are a full-time student at Drexel University.
  • Financial Documents - If the documents that prove you have sufficient funds to support your education in the U.S. will be more than twelve months old at the time you apply for a new visa, we suggest that you arrange for new financial documents to be submitted with your visa application. If all or any part of your funding comes from Drexel University (e.g., scholarship, teaching fellowship, research assistantship), we recommend that you obtain a letter or document verifying the validity and amount of the award, preferably for the semester or academic year when you will return to the U.S. to resume your studies. If all or any part of your funding comes from other sources (e.g., family funds, government scholarship, loan), we suggest that you obtain a letter or document verifying the amount and availability of funding, preferably for the quarter or academic year when you will return to the U.S. to resume your studies.

RE-ENTRY U.S. with an expired Visa: The ‘Automatic Visa Revalidation’ Program

The United States Department of State (DOS) is the government office that distributes U.S. entry visas and governs U.S. embassies abroad. Under specific circumstance they offer a visa program titled Automatic Revalidation.

For more information on this and other visa questions, visit the department of state website.

Contact Us


Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.

Visit during office hours to drop off/pick up documents or to request a travel signature.

Virtual Advising Hours

Mondays and Tuesdays: 2–4 p.m.
Fridays: 9:30–11:30 a.m.

Virtual Advising Sign-In