Social Security

Social Security numbers generally are assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States.

Social Security numbers are used to report your wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. The Social Security Administration (SSA) will not assign you a number just to enroll in a college or school, get a credit card, or cell phone, etc. If you do not have a job, then you cannot apply for a Social Security number. Please refer to the Social Security Administration (SSA) website for more details. For more information about obtaining a SSN as an international student, visit the Study in the States website.

If you have obtained an on-campus or co-op employment and need a SSN, see our SSN Application Instructions [PDF] for guidance. Email your job offer letter that includes the name of your employer, number of hours you will work per week, and employment start date to to request a SSN support letter as part of your application.

For information about filing taxes and other tax-related issues, please refer to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.

Contact Us


Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.

Visit during office hours to drop off/pick up documents or to request a travel signature.

Virtual Advising Hours

Mondays and Wednesdays: 2–4 p.m.

Virtual Advising Sign-In