On-Campus Employment

Working on-campus is a great way to build your social and professional network at Drexel, add to your resume, develop communication and other skills, as well as earn extra funds. If you have the opportunity to work on-campus, be sure to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations, and visit or contact ISSS if you have any questions or concerns.

F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to work on-campus while attending classes. This work does not need to be related to your program of study but you must maintain your student visa status while engaged in this type of work.

Definition of "On-Campus" Employment

On-campus employment typically refers to any job on campus in which you are paid by Drexel. On-campus employment includes work done as a teaching or research assistant as well as jobs in the university library, dorms, dining facilities, research labs, and administrative offices. The exception to this rule exists for on-campus commercial firms/businesses that operate on Drexel’s campus and provide services for students (e.g. jobs through Aramark). Work at these commercial firms/businesses must be performed on campus as defined by the boundaries of the campus map.

If you are not sure that a job is considered "on-campus", please consult an International Student Advisor. Do not accept a job if you are not sure — avoid working without the proper authorization and putting your student visa status at risk!

What is not "On-Campus" Employment

Any other types of employment that may physically occur on campus (e.g. tutoring high school students, working remotely for a U.S. or foreign employer, etc.) but are not paid by Drexel University are not allowed because they do not meet regulatory criteria governing F-1 and J-1 student status in the U.S.

Can I Work On-Campus?

As an F-1 or J-1 student, you may work on-campus if you:

  • are a full-time student in a Drexel degree program for which you were issued an I-20/DS-2019
  • have a valid, unexpired Drexel I-20/DS-2019
  • have a valid, unexpired passport
  • Are maintaining F-1 or J-1 status

J-1 students: You must be in good academic standing and request permission from ISSS before working on campus. Please email ISSS before seeking or accepting employment.

There is no "waiting period" before you are allowed to accept an on-campus job — you can start working in your first term at Drexel if you find a job on-campus.

IMPORTANT: Rules for On-Campus Employment

  1. On-campus employment must not impact your performance in classes. Employment is not a reason to miss classes, fail to do homework assignments, or score low in exams. Failing or dropping classes may affect your full-time enrollment and/or your progress to graduation, which may lead to termination of your status.
  2. You may only work up to 20 hours per week while you are enrolled in classes. You may work up to 40 hours per week while you are on a break/vacation term and you are not enrolled in any classes as well as breaks between terms. If you are thinking of taking a break term, be sure to review the page Vacation and Leave of Absence. Be aware that enrolling any courses (even just 1 credit) means you may only work up to 20 hours per week, even if you are on a break term.
  3. Doing co-op and on campus employment at the same time is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. While you are on co-op, the co-op employment is your "class" — see point #1 above. On-campus employment must not impact your ability to perform your responsibilities at the co-op job. The 20-hour rule in point #2 applies while you are on co-op, but we highly recommend working only a few hours per week, or none at all, to focus on your co-op position.
  4. Once you graduate, if you are suspended/dismissed from your program, or if you transfer to another school, you are NOT eligible to work on-campus at Drexel. Graduating students cannot work on-campus (including teaching/research assistantships) beyond the program end date on the I-20/DS-2019. An exception to this rule is F-1 students who have received post-completion OPT authorization starting immediately after the program end date and the position is related to their degree of study. If you are not sure what date will be your last day of authorization to work on Drexel's campus, consult ISSS. 

How to Find an On-Campus Job

Finding work on Drexel's campus can be challenging because many students want to work and there are limited positions available. Unfortunately, as an international student it is more difficult because you are not eligible for Federal Work-Study positions (these jobs are paid by the U.S. government to aid American citizens who need financial assistance).

Some helpful web pages to find jobs include:

You may also consider visiting offices/departments at Drexel to ask if they are looking to hire students. Check with your academic department, ask your friends where/how they have found jobs, or visit any student service office you may use to see if anyone is hiring. If this is your plan, be prepared to have your resume and a cover letter ready!

I Found an On-Campus Job - Now What?

Paperwork and procedures for new hires can vary by department — be sure to follow your supervisor's guidelines and instructions carefully.

You may apply and be hired for an on-campus job before you have a Social Security number (SSN), but you will need a SSN before you can be paid. Email ISSS a copy of your job offer letter and we will create a SSN support letter for you.

Generally, you will be required to present the following documents when completing new hire paperwork:

  • Passport
  • Visa (citizens of Canada and Bermuda exempt)
  • I-94 (Visit this website and click "Get most recent I-94" to search for and print your I-94)
  • Social Security card with your SSN (if you have one already)
  • Most recent I-20

If you have questions or concerns about any of these documents, consult an International Student Advisor at ISSS before completing the new hire paperwork.

Paying and Filing Taxes

If you are paid for your on-campus employment, you will be required to pay and file federal and state taxes. Please be aware that ISSS cannot advise on taxes. However, Drexel's Office of Tax Compliance provides guidance on their website. They are available to answer your questions and concerns regarding the taxes deducted from your paycheck and filing your taxes at the beginning of each calendar year.

Contact Us


Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.

Visit during office hours to drop off/pick up documents or to request a travel signature.

Virtual Advising Hours

Mondays and Tuesdays: 2–4 p.m.
Fridays: 9:30–11:30 a.m.

Virtual Advising Sign-In