Academic Training for J-1 Students
Employment central to an exchange visitor student’s academic program that may occur during and after the completion of studies. Academic training can be classified as internship, and or practicum.
- Academic Training During a Course of Study - Academic training is normally part-time during the academic year.
- Post-completion Academic Training- Authorization begins when a student complete his or her studies, even if the employment does not begin until a later date.
- Post-doctoral Academic Training - Can be granted in increments of 18 months with a maximum period of 36 months. A new form DS-2019 will be issued for each 18-month period.
Requirements for Academic Training
Make an appointment with the ISSS advisor in order submit the following documents and to apply for academic training.
- Passport, Visa & I-94
- Valid certificate of eligibility (form DS-2019)
- Good academic status
- Academic Training must be related to the student’s field of study
- Employment offer letter must be submitted before the completion of studies
- Approval letter from the academic advisor must also be submitted before the completion of studies.
- Funding documents
- To obtain authorization to engage in Academic Training during the academic year: Student must submit the documentation listed above to the ISSS office at least 10 business days before the anticipated start date
- To obtain authorization to engage in Academic Training following completion of your program: Student must submit the documentation listed above to the ISSS 60 days before completing your program and before the extension of your DS-2019. The regulations state that employment for AT must begin no later than 30 days after completion of studies.
You must always apply for and receive Academic Training authorization before the completion of your program. Once your program has ended, student will no longer considered to be in valid J-1 program status, and will have to apply for reinstatement to J-1 status from the United States Department of State (DOS) which administers the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Approval for reinstatement is highly tentative.
The Exchange Visitor Program will not allow application to be made during the 30-day grace period you are allowed to stay in the United States upon completion of your program of study.