For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Frequently Asked Questions

For additional frequently asked questions, please refer to our First-Year FAQs and Transfer FAQs.

Application Process

My first language is English. Can the TOEFL be waived for me?

First-Year Applicants

International first-year applicants must submit standardized testing results, to be considered for admission. While the SAT and ACT are most common, Drexel is flexible in the exams that we will accept. To see a complete list of eligible exams, please review our Standardized Testing Requirements.

Additionally, international first-year applicants whose first (or native) language is not English must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE and request that results be forwarded to the Admissions Office. Drexel's TOEFL school code is 2194. Exemptions from an English proficiency exam may occur for the following reasons:

  • Your first (or native) language is English.
  • You have studied at a high school for a minimum of three years where English is the primary language of instruction. We strongly recommend that students who choose this exemption still submit both the SAT or ACT and TOEFL, IELTS or PTE exams to demonstrate English language proficiency.
  • You have received a minimum score of 600 on the SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section or a minimum score of 27 on the ACT English section.

Transfer Applicants

International transfer applicants whose native language is not English must take the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE unless the applicant has completed 24 college-level credits with English I and II earning a grade of C or better from a regionally accredited institution.

How does Drexel determine if I am an international student?

If you are not a U.S. citizen and are not a U.S. permanent resident (green card holder), you are an international student.

Ninth grade is in middle school in my country. Do I still need to send my ninth grade transcripts?

You are required to submit these transcripts if you are applying as a first-year applicant. An admission decision cannot be made without these documents. 

I am an international student. What transcripts do I need to transfer to Drexel?

Transcript requirements for international first-year applicants can be found on our First-Year Application Instructions. If your country or educational system is not listed, or if you are unsure about what documents are required, please email Transfer students must submit sealed, official transcripts from all collegiate institutions attended. If you have fewer than 24 semester college credits, you may also be required to submit high school transcripts.

How can I check my application status?

You can check the status of your application by visiting the Discover Drexel portal.

Note: Information on Discover Drexel reflects what has been processed into our system. It will not reflect materials that we have received but have not yet processed.

Where can I submit my application materials electronically?

Please refer to the First-Year Application Instructions or the Transfer Application Instructions for detailed instructions on how to submit individual items.

Where should I mail my application materials?

Please refer to the First-Year Application Instructions or the Transfer Application Instructions for our mailing addresses.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

How do I apply for scholarships?

International students are automatically considered for merit aid during the application review process. No additional paperwork is required. Merit scholarship decisions are based on the credentials submitted at the time of application. Students who are awarded a merit scholarship will be notified in their acceptance letter. If you are interested in need-based aid, you must complete the CSS Profile by the appropriate deadline. To view the deadlines and find more information regarding the CSS Profile, please visit the How to Apply for Aid page.

I cannot cover the entire cost of a Drexel education. Can I have a job on campus?

International students on an F1 visa may work on campus. However, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to find a job. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a job assignment to you and it will be your responsibility to seek out and apply for on-campus jobs if you wish to have one.

Drexel Co-op

I am an international student and will have an F1 visa. Can I do co-op?

Yes, you are eligible to participate in the co-op program if you have an F1 visa.

Will participating in the co-op program affect my Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

If you are enrolled in the One Co-op (Four Years) option, it will not affect your OPT. If you are enrolled in the Three Co-op (Five Years) option, it will affect your OPT if you do all of your co-ops full-time in the United States. In order to preserve their OPT for after graduation, students with three co-ops will often do one of their co-ops part-time or one of them abroad. For more information regarding your OPT, please contact our International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS) office at or by phone at 215.895.2502.

I am not on a student visa. I have an H4 (L2, etc.) visa. How does co-op work for me? Can I participate?

Please contact the ISSS office regarding this issue. They can be reached by email at or by phone at 215.895.2502.