Certificate in Drug Discovery & Development
The Certificate in Drug Discovery and Development program provides in-depth exposure to the multiple elements involved in the discovery and development of prescription medications. This program has been designed to provide a comprehensive overview of the complex and specialized process of drug discovery and development and help students advance within the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry.
Is This Program for Me?
The certificate in Drug Discovery and Development is available to individuals who have already obtained a BS or BA degree in the life, physical or health sciences who may wish to pursue industry-focused training. This includes:
- Early stage professionals who would like to master the basics of the field
- Experienced professionals who would like to broaden their base of information about the drug discovery and development process
- Experienced professionals who seek focused training in specific specialties
- Individuals who would like to transition into the pharmaceutical industry
The applicant must have completed a four-year bachelor’s degree, nursing degree or equivalent program in a relevant subject area with a preferred GPA of at least 2.75. All students must submit two confidential letters of recommendation, a personal statement explaining their interest in the program and all previous official educational transcripts. No standardized test is required for admission but if one has been taken, such as the GRE and MCAT, the scores should be submitted for review. The merit of each applicant will be evaluated by the admissions committee of the program and all qualifications, including professional experience will be taken into consideration.
About the Curriculum
Two required courses cover multiple aspects of the drug discovery and development process, ranging from the identification and validation of drug targets through to regulatory approval and commercialization of the product. Students will also become familiar with critical clinical, legal and business aspects associated with the successful development of a marketed drug. Your curriculum can then be customized by selecting from an extensive list of elective courses that provide more specialized training in different disciplines like biomedical science, regulatory affairs, clinical research, product development, or pharmaceutical management.
Students who successfully complete the certificate program often choose to transition to the MS program. It should be noted that this is a “stackable” certificate and all completed courses in this program can be applied towards the master of science in Drug Discovery and Development program.
Upon Completion, You Will Be Able to:
- Understand the fundamental scientific principles that guide the development of novel therapeutics
- Recognize and evaluate the contributions of representatives from different disciplines, organizations, and agencies involved in advancing a candidate molecule from the laboratory to the market
- Evaluate the properties of a candidate molecule, assess its therapeutic potential, identify key strengths and weaknesses, and recommend remedies to overcome limitations
- Exhibit sound ethical principles and work independently or in diverse groups
- Synthesize information from multiple and diverse sources to identify the most fruitful plan of action
- Communicate technical information clearly and effectively—in both written and oral form—to scientific and non-scientific audiences