Philadelphia Wage Tax Refund Petition Instructions
For 2020 and 2021, the Philadelphia Department of Revenue has created a COVID-EZ Refund Petition form. Individuals who reside outside of the City of Philadelphia and had Philadelphia Wage Tax deducted for days that they were required to work from home may complete the form to request a refund.
Employees of Drexel University, the Academy of Natural Sciences or Drexel University Online need to complete the following steps to complete the refund request:
- Complete the COVID EZ Wage Refund Petition for the applicable year — 2021 [PDF] or 2020 [PDF] — including signing the employee certification section. Per the City of Philadelphia, legal signatures are required. The employer certification section will be signed by the Payroll Office.
- Complete the Refund Dates and Locations worksheet for the applicable year — 2021 [PDF] or 2020 [PDF]. For each date a refund is being requested, detail the location and reason for required remote work (i.e. Bensalem, COVID). The hours only need to be completed if they exceed eight. The form needs to be signed by the employee and the Dean/Director. By signing the worksheet, both parties are indicating that they have reviewed all dates for accuracy and completeness. Per the City of Philadelphia, legal signatures are required.
- Email all required documents to the Payroll Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Subject: Non-Resident COVID EZ Refund Petition Form
- Attach the completed COVID EZ Wage Refund Petition for applicable year.
- Attach the completed Refund Dates and Locations worksheet for applicable year.
- The Payroll Department will review the forms for correctness; confirm the amount of the refund request; sign the forms; and submit the petition to the City of Philadelphia for the refund.
- The Payroll Department will send an email to the requestor detailing the amount of the refund request and the date the refund was submitted to the City of Philadelphia.
- The City of Philadelphia mails refund checks directly to the employee’s home address.
For refund petition information for years prior to 2020, or related to travel, please contact the Payroll Department (email@example.com).