Undergraduate Research Opportunities
By actively engaging in research alongside department faculty, public health majors develop their skills as experts and benefit from the close mentorship of faculty advisors, preparing them for successful experiences in the work force or graduate school.
Students conduct research for credit by completing their senior capstone.
The senior capstone is a progressive 3-quarter experience with cross-cutting competencies to provide an individualized learning experience.
Students will work with a faculty member to design a project that will fulfill both public health interests as well as the broader capstone objectives. Students will participate in in-class learning to acquire foundational concepts, which they can apply to their individualized project.
Upon completion of the project, some students present their work at regional or national conferences or publish their findings.
Recent capstone project titles include:
- Strokes and Misdiagnosis: A Public Health Approach
- The Epidemiology of Sepsis After a Traumatic Injury
- HIV Invections Amid Venezuela's Humanitarian Crisis: An Overview
- Addressing Anxiety and Depression in Youth Populations: A Holistic Approach
- A Case Study of Exercise Addiction: Progression, Measurements, Determinants, Co-Morbidities, and Treatment
- Ethics: "Living" on Life Support
- Emerging Infectious Disease Preparedness and Response from the Lesson: COVID-19 (SARS-COV-2)
- Improving Health Literacy in Older Adults
- Applying the Past Experiences Against COVID-19 and Understanding Black Swans and Grey Rhinos to Face the Unknown Viruses in the Future
- Postpartum Depression
- The Effects of Heat Stress on Migrants and Refugees
- Transportation and Climate Change Needs Assessment for Philadelphia
- The Maryland Model: A Case Study of Maryland's Innovative Healthcare Model
- Assessing the Need for Mental Health Services in Low-income African Americans in Philadelphia
- HIV, Conflict, and Instability: Yemen's Shattered National HIV Care Continuum
- Bipolar Disorder: Impacts on the Individual and Family Over the Lifecourse
- The Opioid Epidemic
Some capstone projects include an extensive literature review on a topic of interest; an in-depth case study on a pertinent public health issue; or a needs assessment for an organization.