Undergraduate Research Opportunities
By actively engaging in research alongside department faculty, public health majors develop their skills as experts and benefit from the close mentorship of faculty advisors, preparing them for successful experiences in the work force or graduate school.
Students conduct research for credit by completing their senior capstone.
The senior capstone is a progressive 3-quarter experience with cross-cutting competencies to provide an individualized learning experience.
Students will work with a faculty member to design a project that will fulfill both public health interests as well as the broader capstone objectives. Students will participate in in-class learning to acquire foundational concepts, which they can apply to their individualized project.
Upon completion of the project, some students present their work at regional or national conferences or publish their findings.
Capstone project titles of Dornsife's most recent undergrad class include:
- Social Media Use and its Role on Body Dissatisfaction and Depression among Female Adolescents
- Casinos and the Community's Health
- Postpartum Depression and Its Risk Factors
- Public Health Communications: What Works, What Doesn't, and What Needs to Change
- Maternal Mortality: Structural Racism and Weathering
- The Impacts of Apartheid on the HIV/AIDS Epidemic in South Africa
- Redlining and Its Impacts on the African American Community in Philadelphia
- The Impact of the Patient Protections and the Affordable Care Act on Health Equity
- Needs Assessment of the Indian Health Service in Navajo Nation Amidst COVID-19
- Why Racism Should Be a Public Health Issue
- Mental Health in the Age of Covid-19 Lockdowns
- How Mental Illness Can Develop Alongside or in the Wake of a Diagnosed Chronic Condition (Diabulimia and Type 1 Diabetes)
- Addressing Disparities of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color and Low Socioeconomic Status Populations During the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic
- Case Study: Facemask Compliance Within the Philadelphia Area and the United States of America
- Mandatory Vaccination Legislation for Students in New Jersey
- Impact of Internet Pornography on the Addiction Feedback Loop
- Prisons as a Public Health Crisis
- Power & Privilege Within the Field of Academia
- Tackling Partiality in the Western World
- Global Research Review of Vaccine Hesitancy
- Racism and Its Impact on Black Women with Endometriosis
- Harm Reduction and the Opioid Epidemic
Some capstone projects include an extensive literature review on a topic of interest; an in-depth case study on a pertinent public health issue; or a needs assessment for an organization.