For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Non-Degree Students

Students entering Nesbitt Hall

What Is A Non-Degree Program?

Drexel University’s Dornsife School of Public Health recognizes that some students may wish to complete courses at Dornsife without necessarily being in a program that leads to a degree or a certificate.

A non-degree program is considered part-time, and a student often choose this option because they wish to take coursework for professional growth or take a specific class to fulfill a prerequisite.

Non-degree students select individual courses based on individual preference, and that may include a choice between online learning and on-campus learning.

Who Are Non-Degree Students?

Non-degree students are also commonly referred to as non-matriculated students. They can study undergraduate or graduate courses.

Non-degree students take courses that earn credit.

Note that there is a limit to the amount of credits that you can earn as a non-degree student:

  • The undergraduate limit is 11.5 credits.
  • Graduate students may remain as non-degree students until they complete 12 credits.

Admission for a Non-Degree Student

Non-degree /non-matriculated student applicants are required to:

  • Meet the minimum admission criteria
  • Receive credit in all courses taken
  • Maintain good academic standing

Undergraduate applicants:

Applicants should review the non-matriculated option and complete the application for part-time undergraduate admissions.

Please ensure that all materials required for the evaluation of your application are received by the Office of Admissions before the deadline. Make sure to review the deadlines for undergraduate applicants and Drexel's academic quarter calendar.

Note that non-matriculated undergraduate students are required to have a high school diploma or GED equivalency.

Graduate applicants:

Applicants should apply though the Drexel University Admission Application. To begin your application, choose "Create an account" under "First-Time Users." If you have already started an application, please select "Log in" under "Returning Users." Once your user account is created then you will have the option to select "non-matriculated."

Non-matriculated graduate applicants should provide a completed application, copies of transcripts, and a 500-word essay. Please contact the department directly to ensure that they allow non-matriculated students in the class(es) you intend to take.

It is your responsibility to ensure that all materials required for the evaluation of your application are received by the Office of Admissions before the deadline, so make sure to review the deadlines for graduate programs and Drexel's academic quarter calendar.

Overview of University Policies for Non-Matriculated Students

  • Admission into your program of interest as a non-matriculated student is not guaranteed. Registration approval is based on space availability.
  • Admission to a degree program will be based on all criteria required at the time of application, plus performance in relevant courses under non-degree status.
  • Completion of courses by non-degree students does not obligate the university to grant admission to a degree program at a later date.
  • Non-degree students who do not maintain good academic standing will not be approved for further study.
  • Non-degree status does not qualify for federal financial aid programs.
  • Students must follow the university policy for the maximum number of credits allowed in a term. Students interested in enrolling in more than the maximum credits allowed in this status must apply for admission into a degree or certificate program. Although credits taken in this status might apply to a degree program, a student who is admitted to non-degree status has no assurance that work completed under this status will be applicable toward degree requirements should the student subsequently apply for and be admitted to a degree program.
  • Please refer to the Office of the Provost's academic policies regarding undergraduate students and graduate students for more information on academic standing.

Current Non-Matriculated Students

Non-matriculated students at Drexel who wish to apply for matriculation status should email the Dornsife Admissions office, who will walk students through the steps to submit an application.

All non-matriculated students who reach the university credit limit and desire a degree must request matriculation into the degree program.

Non-Degree Student Frequently Asked Questions

Is a non-degree course worth it?

Non-degree courses can be beneficial for individuals who are interested in learning a new skill, looking to fulfill a prerequisite, or exploring a career change.

Do non-degree courses earn credit?

Yes, non-degree courses earn credit. If a non-degree student decides to apply for and be admitted to a degree program then it’s possible that these credits may transfer toward degree requirements.

What public health courses can I take as a non-degree student?

It's recommended that you contact the Dornsife department that is offering the course to make sure that you can register for a specific class as a non-matriculated student. Some courses may be restricted to students in a given program and therefore unavailable to non-matriculated students.