What is the Online MPH in Epidemiology?
The online Master of Public Health (MPH) in Epidemiology at Drexel University's Dornsife School of Public Health is designed to train students to become expert researchers and public health workers capable of investigating complex urban and community health challenges and developing effective strategies to prevent them.
The online MPH in Epidemiology program will prepare students to:
- Review and critically evaluate the validity of the design, analysis and interpretation of findings from published research studies
- Define a problem and formulate a testable hypothesis
- Create and manage datasets appropriate for epidemiologic analyses from sources such as surveillance, large-scale data (i.e, Big Data, such as electronic medical records, administrative claims data) or other health-related research
- Conduct univariable and multivariable regression and other semi- and non-parametric analytic techniques of an epidemiologic data set using a standard statistical software package
- Create effective peer-review quality written and visual summaries of analysis results
Why Pursue an MPH in Epidemiology at Drexel Dornsife?
An online MPH in Epidemiology from Drexel Dornsife will prepare you for a career focused on the health of populations, which is a distinguishing feature of the field of public health.
Public health researchers who can apply knowledge to real-world problems are in great demand at the community and global levels. Drexel Dornsife’s online MPH in Epidemiology prepares you find causes of public health issues and prevention strategies.
Online students learn from the same faculty as their peers on-campus. Dornsife faculty in the department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics conduct pioneering research in many areas, including autism, cancer, environmental risk factors, health across life stages, infectious disease and prevention, mental health, global public health, and urban health.
Benefits of obtaining an online MPH in Epidemiology at Drexel include:
- Flexibility: No residency component required.
- Convenience: This program be completed in as little as 12 months. Your academic advisor will work with you on customized plan of study that works best for you.
- Affordability: Online students receive tuition savings compared to Drexel's regular tuition rate and are eligible for financial aid.
- Student support: Online students have access to many of Drexel University's resources, including the library, writing center, and career services
- Reputation: U.S. News & World Report ranks Dornsife the #1 graduate school of public health in Philadelphia and tied for #22 in the country. Dornsife is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Students build a solid foundation in biostatistics, epidemiology, and public health and gain the skills to examine real-world problems.
Read more about the online MPH in Epidemiology on the Drexel University Online website.
The Dornsife School of Public Health seeks students with intellectual and interpersonal competencies as well as those with potential for leadership. We have set a high priority on establishing a student body that is representative of the nation's population. We strive to recruit and admit applicants from underrepresented minority groups who can contribute to the richness of our student population and to that of the nation's public health professionals.
The Online MPH in Epidemiology is ideal for a student who is interested in characterizing, monitoring, and understanding the health of populations. Students will learn from faculty who apply analytic approaches to a range of research topics including social inequalities in health, neighborhood differences in health, chronic and infectious disease, and nutrition.
Admissions Requirements for the Online MPH in Epidemiology Program
To be considered for the program, applicants must have earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent international institution.
Six undergraduate or graduate credits in the social or behavioral sciences, and three credits in the biological sciences are preferred, but not required.
A GPA of at least 3.0 preferred. Those with lower GPAs are encouraged to apply, and should highlight the following in their personal statement: relevant work experience, professional certifications, and/or continuing education that demonstrates academic excellence.
Application Requirements for the Online MPH in Epidemiology Program
Applicants will need to submit the following:
- Online application
- Official transcripts from every college-level institution you attended (academic records from institutions outside the U.S. must undergo a credentials evaluation)
- English proficiency test score (TOEFL or IELTS), if applicable
- Two letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives
Applications for Drexel Dornsife’s online MPH in Epidemiology program do not require GRE scores.
To learn more about admission and application requirements, visit Drexel University Online
MPH in Epidemiology Curriculum
The online MPH in Epidemiology program curriculum empowers students to identify determinants of disease and improve health of populations through descriptive data analysis and hands-on learning.
Within our online learning environment, students will focus on a variety of core concepts, including:
- Defining a problem and formulating a testable hypothesis
- Solving data analyses pertinent to hypothesis testing
- Creating effective summaries of analyses
- Translating raw epidemiologic data into actionable public health information
Core Public Health Courses
All students will begin their studies in Public Health Foundations and a three-course sequence on Public Health Methods. These courses meet the core competencies outlined by CEPH that all MPH students must achieve.
The Foundations sequence is designed to run over two quarters and will introduce students to the theory and practice of public health. In the Methods sequence, students will take three courses: epidemiology, biostatistics, and qualitative methods.
To learn more about core courses and view a sample plan of study, follow the link below.
Sample Plan of Study
MPH in Epidemiology Required Courses
Foundational epidemiology courses include:
- BST 555 Introduction to Statistical Computing - 3 credits
- EPI 560 Intermediate Epidemiology - 3 credits
- BST 560 Intermediate Biostatistics - 3 credits
- EPI 749 Research and Practice in Epidemiology - 3 credits
Successful completion of 56 course credit hours is required for students to receive their MPH in Epidemiology.
Read more about the online MPH in Epidemiology curriculum on the Drexel University Online website.
MPH Applied Practical Experience
All students in the MPH program develop skills in basic public health concepts and then demonstrate capacity to apply these concepts through a practical experience relevant to their area of specialization. “Practice” refers to implementing (doing) public health, rather than understanding (studying, researching) public health.
The practical experience is an applied, field-based requirement that gives students experience in the practice of public health – requiring 120-240 hours in a field placement.
Learn more about the Applied Practical Experience
Integrative Learning Experience for MPH Students
The integrative learning experience (ILE) is the culminating requirement for MPH students. It requires students to take 3 credits near the end of the program and engage in a project that emphasizes practical applications of concepts and skill development. Students are required to complete a high-quality written product and presentation at the end of the experience.
Learn more about the Integrative Learning Experience
Career Options with an MPH in Epidemiology
A career in epidemiology often involves data collection, analyses, and interpretation to inform policy and practice. Epidemiology graduates may also manage health research studies that lead to the changes in decision making in public health, or they may pursue doctoral training in epidemiology.
Program graduates are employed by state and local governments, nonprofits, universities, health insurance companies, and pharmaceutical companies.
An MPH in Epidemiology prepares individuals for career paths and advancement opportunities, including:
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Research Analyst
- Infection Control Specialist
- Senior Epidemiologist
- Data Scientist
An MPH in Epidemiology provides a unique opportunity to investigate current and emerging topics that inform public health aspects of medicine, nursing, law, and other fields.
Master’s in Epidemiology Salary Scale
While salary can range across industries, the median annual wage for epidemiologists was $78,520 in May 2022. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 27% increase in the job outlook for masters-trained epidemiologists. More information regarding the projected outlook and salary for epidemiologists can be found on the Bureau of Labor Statistics' website.
Apply Today to Begin Working Towards Your Degree