What is a DrPH in Health Management and Policy?
The Doctor of Public Health (DrPH), in the Health Management and Policy is a doctorate program designed for mid-level professionals who already have a Masters of Public Health or equivalent degree.
This CEPH-accredited program at the number one school of public health in Philadelphia equips students with a mixture of advanced skills needed to pursue careers in health care, public health, or related areas in the United States and abroad.
Research interests of current DrPH in Health Management and Policy students include data informatics, adverse childhood experiences, behavioral health integration, climate change, disabilities, reproductive healthcare, and eye health.
Drexel Dornsife's DrPH will not be offered to new applicants in the 2023-2024 academic year.
Why Pursue a DrPH Degree in Health Management and Policy with Drexel Dornsife?
Features of the DrPH degree in Health Management and Policy program at Drexel Dornsife include:
- The DrPH is a part-time program for working professionals.
- Students are required to pay per credit and are not eligible for Drexel funding.
- Renowned faculty with a mix of practice and research backgrounds.
- Students are matched with a faculty advisor based on their research interests.
The DrPH in Health Management and Policy program will prepare students to:
- Demonstrate a commitment to public health professional values through the integration of ethical principles and an evaluation of personal values
- Propose solutions to address a challenge in the US health system using economic models
- Interpret legal, ethical, and policy principles as they apply to public health practice
- Critically evaluate the application of economic evaluation in healthcare
- Assess the feasibility and implications of health systems policies as related to the organizing, delivering, and financing of health services
Advance your skills and your career with a DrPH in Health Management and Policy. Request more information today.
Admissions Requirements for the DrPH Degree in Health Management and Policy
The Dornsife School of Public Health seeks students who wish to pursue a practice-based career and use their training to become effective leaders in a public or private sector setting at the local, national or international level.
In order to be considered for the Doctor of Public Health in Health Management and Policy program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A master's of public health degree (MPH) or a master's degree in a related field.*
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience in a health-related field (health care or public health), ideally 5 years.
- A grade point average of 3.2 or better.
*Applicants with a master's degree in another field should explain their relevant training, research experience, or educational background comparable to the MPH. Doctor of Public Health in Health Management and Policy applicants admitted without a MPH may be required to take additional coursework at the graduate level that does not apply toward the credits required for the DrPH.
Note that Drexel Dornsife's DrPH will not be offered to new applicants in the 2023-2024 academic year.
DrPH Degree Application Requirements
In addition to the SOPHAS required documentation of official United States or Canadian transcripts and a CV or resume, please provide the following documentation with your application.
- A written statement of career goals and doctoral program interests including a description of a potential dissertation topic and identification of a potential advisor(s) within the department based on faculty website profiles.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty or professionals who can evaluate the applicant's promise as a graduate student.
- Official transcripts from each U.S. and English-speaking Canadian college-level institution attended, undergraduate and graduate.
- World Education Services (WES) ICAP Course-by-Course evaluation of academic records from institutions outside the U.S. and English-speaking Canada (if applicable)
- Standardized test scores.
- The GRE is not required if the applicant holds an MPH or related masters degree or another terminal doctoral degree in a health-related field. However, applicants who have taken the GRE or other aptitude test within the past five years may elect to submit their scores. This may be especially helpful for applicants whose academic records do not reflect their current academic potential and accomplishments.
- English proficiency test scores for those applicants who attended post-secondary institutions where the primary language of instruction is not English.
- TOEFL: Have ETS send scores to SOPHAS using code 5688
- IELTS: Have scores submitted directly to Drexel University
- Academic writing sample
- An in-person or telephone interview is required for all finalists.
To learn more about application and admissions requirements for the DrPH in Health Health Management Policy program, please visit the page below.
Learn more about application and admissions requirements
DrPH in Health Management and Policy Curriculum
With a curriculum that emphasizes evidence-based public health science, the DrPH in Health Management and Policy program prepares students to assume significant leadership roles and contribute to the effectiveness of public health.
Students will focus on core study areas, including:
- Health Care Organization and Systems
- Research and Evaluation
- Health Economics and Finance
- Leadership and Strategic Management
In addition, with the guidance of their faculty advisers, students will choose a cognate or related area of study outside of the Department of Health Management and Policy as a core area of study.
Courses in the program include:
- HMP 803 Health Systems Policy Analysis – 3 credits
- HMP 811 Legal Aspects of Public Health – 3 credits
- HMP 814 Research and Practice Workshop – 3 credits
- HMP 815 Cost Benefit Analysis for Health Services – 3 credits
- HMP 852 Health Economics I – 3 credits
The DrPH curriculum is taught by a diverse group of faculty who specialize in areas including health care management, urban health, health disparities and equity, health leadership. You will focus your research and practice on using social determinants frameworks and population health management strategies.
Degree Requirements for the DrPH Program
In order to receive the Doctor of Public Health in Health Management and Policy, students must complete the following degree requirements:
- A minimum of 60 quarter credit hours
- Completing a practicum
- Completing and successfully defending a practice-oriented dissertation.
How Long is Drexel Dornsife’s DrPH program?
Students in the DrPH program have 7 calendar years from the date of initial registration to complete the require coursework and successfully complete the applied dissertation project.
To learn more about courses, curriculum, and sample plans of study, please visit the links below:
Review degree requirements and courses
Sample Plan of Study
Career Options with a DrPH in Health Policy and Management
The DrPH in Health Policy and Management program pursue a practice-based career in health care, public health, or related areas in the United States and abroad.
This program prepares students for leadership roles in careers such as:
- Healthcare Strategic Planning Analyst
- Health Operations Manager
- Health Outcomes Research Scientist
- Program Director
Potential Salary Ranges with a DrPH
While salary can range across industries and vary based on education level and experience, here is the median annual wage for certain careers open to those with a DrPH:
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2021 data
||Career Median Salary
|Health Service Manager
A DrPH degree in Health Management and Policy can lead to a successful career where you contribute in a meaningful way to improve the effectiveness of public health, health care, and health policy.
To learn more about the DrPH in Health Management and Policy, request more information and get in touch with one of our academic advisors today.