What is the Online MPH in Global Health?
The online Master of Public Health (MPH) in Global Health at Drexel University’s Dornsife School of Public Health is an MPH program that teaches students how to analyze the influences affecting the health and well-being of diverse populations across different cultures and contexts.
The online MPH is designed to train students and health professionals in the foundations of public health with an emphasis on global health. The program prepares students to:
- Analyze the roles, relationships, and resources of the entities influencing global health
- Apply ethical approaches in global health research and practice
- Apply monitoring and evaluation techniques to global health programs, policies, and outcomes
- Propose sustainable and evidence-based multisectoral interventions, considering the social determinants of health specific to the local area
- Design sustainable workforce development strategies for resource-limited settings
- Display critical self-reflection, cultural humility, and ongoing learning in global health
Why Pursue an MPH in Global Health Online at Drexel Dornsife?
At Dornsife students learn from faculty who are actively engaged in the international community, working on critical global health issues including hunger, infectious disease, maternal and child health, occupational health, immigrant health, and urban health.
Benefits of obtaining an online MPH in Global Health at Drexel include:
- Flexibility: No residency component required.
- Convenience: Can be completed in as little as 12 months. Your program manager will work with you on customized plan of study that works best for you.
- Affordability: Online students receive tuition savings compared to Drexel's regular tuition rate and are eligible for financial aid.
- Student support: Online students have access to many of Drexel University's resources, including the library, writing center, and career services
- Reputation: U.S. News & World Report ranks Dornsife the #1 graduate school of public health in Philadelphia and tied for #19 in the country. Dornsife is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Develop Critical Public Health Skills
Throughout the Global Health MPH program, students develop key skills required for a robust career in public health:
- Program planning, research, and communication
- How to assess, monitor and evaluate global health programs, policies, and outcomes
- How to design evidence-based programs while paying attention to ethics, social justice, and human rights
Students work with Drexel Dornsife faculty and visiting global health scholars and partner with governmental and non-governmental organizations on an integrative learning and practical experience.
Read more about the Online MPH in Global Health on the Drexel University Online website.
The Dornsife School of Public Health seeks students with intellectual and interpersonal competencies as well as those with potential for leadership. We have set a high priority on establishing a student body that is representative of the nation's population. We strive to recruit and to admit applicants from underrepresented minority groups who can contribute to the richness of our student population and to that of the nation's public health professionals.
The Online MPH in Global Health is ideal for a prospective student interested in studying and addressing the world's current and emerging global public health issues.
Admissions Requirements for the Online MPH in Global Health Program
To be considered for the program, applicants must have earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent international institution.
A GPA of at least 3.0 preferred. Those with a lower GPA are encouraged to apply, and should highlight the following in their personal statement: relevant work experience, professional certifications, and/or continuing education that demonstrates academic excellence.
Application Requirements for the Online MPH in Global Health Program
Applicants will need to submit the following:
- Online application
- Official transcripts from every college-level institution you attended (academic records from institutions outside the U.S. must undergo a credentials evaluation)
- English proficiency test score (TOEFL or IELTS), if applicable
- Two letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives
Applications for Drexel Dornsife’s online MPH in Global Health program do not require GRE scores.
To learn more about admission and application requirements, visit Drexel University Online
All students will begin their studies in Public Health Foundations and a three-course sequence on Public Health Methods. These courses meet the core competencies outlined by CEPH that all MPH students must achieve. The foundations sequence is designed to run over two quarters and will introduce students to the theory and practice of public health. In the Public Health Methods sequence, students will take three courses on epidemiology, biostatistics, and qualitative methods.
Sample Plan of Study
MPH in Global Health Required Courses
Students in the online MPH in Global Health program are required to complete degree-specific courses, including:
- EOH 560 Overview of Issues in Global Health - 3 credits
- HMP 603 Health Systems Policy Analysis - 3 credits
- CHP 607 Public Health Ethics - 3 credits
- CHP 660 Global Health Ethics - 1.5 credits
- CHP 673 Process Monitoring and Outcomes Evaluation for Community Health Programs - 3 credits
- CHP 661 Monitoring and Evaluation in Global Health Programs and Advocacy - 1.5 credits
To successfully complete the MPH in Global Health online program, students must complete 56 course credit hours to receive their degree.
To learn more about the online MPH in Global Health degree requirements, visit the link below.
Review Degree Requirements
Global Health MPH Program Electives
Students have flexibility to select electives that align with their research interests and professional goals, including maternal and child health; LGBT health; Latino communities; and rare, stigmatized and hidden populations.
MPH Applied Practical Experience
All MPH degree students must develop skills in basic public health concepts and demonstrate capacity to apply these concepts through an applied practical experience relevant to their area of specialization. “Practice” refers to implementing (doing) public health, rather than understanding (studying, researching) public health.
Applied practical experience is a field-based requirement that gives students experience in the practice of public health – requiring 120-240 hours in a field placement.
Learn more about Applied Practical Experience
MPH Integrative Learning Experience
The integrative learning experience (ILE) is the culminating requirement for MPH students. It requires students to take 3 credits near the end of the program and engage in a project that emphasizes practical applications of concepts and skill development. Students are required to complete a high-quality written product and presentation at the end of the experience.
Learn more about the Integrative Learning Experience
What Can You Do With a Global Health Degree?
Global health graduates have opportunities to work in local, national, and global public health organizations, humanitarian organizations, and development organizations. Others work in the field at government agencies, clinical practices, and research organizations.
A Master of Public Health in Global Health can open individuals up to a variety of career opportunities, including:
- Global Health Educator
- Health Communications Manager
- Research Associate
- Global Program Manager
- Senior Specialist in Research and Evaluation
- Health Services Manager
- Policy Analyst
- Senior Project Coordinator
- Research and Evaluation
- Global Program Development Specialist
MPH in Global Health Salary Scale
While salary can range across industries, the median annual wage for health education specialists was $60,600 in May 2021, and the median annual wage for medical and health services managers was $101,340 in May 2021, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
An MPH in Global Health provides passionate public health professionals with the skills and training to confront timely global and urban challenges, while promoting health in all policies.
Apply Today to Begin Working Towards Your Degree