Continuing Professional Education in Public Health
Kick-start or advance your public health career with the Drexel University Dornsife School of Public Health's continuing education offerings for public health and healthcare professionals.
Learn more about these opportunities to gain new skills, knowledge, and expertise in public health. Many are free or low-cost.
Table of Contents:
Online Graduate Certificate Programs
Drexel's online graduate certificates in public health are relevant to those at any stage of their career, whether in pursuit of a first job, career change, promotion, or professional development opportunity.
Focus areas of the certificates include Public Health, Disability and Health Equity Policy, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Global Health, Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, Maternal and Child Health, LGBTQ Health, and Urban Health.
- Cost: Tuition per credit depends on the certificate. Special tuition rates available for Drexel alumni, military members, and members of our partner organizations
- Time to Completion: Varies from 9 - 18 months
- Format: Online
- Intended Audience: Anyone with a bachelor's degree, working professionals
- Credits: Courses earn graduate credit. Most credits can be rolled directly into a Drexel Dornsife master's program
Learn more about public health certificates
Urban Health Summer Institute
The Drexel Urban Health Collaborative at Dornsife hosts an Urban Health Summer Institute that offers short courses each June.
Past courses have included Introduction to GIS, Introduction to Public Deliberation, Introduction to Bayesian Analysis for Urban Health, and Introduction to Multilevel Analysis for Urban Health Research.
- Cost: Most courses are $200-$275 with discounts for groups, early bird registrations, and Drexel students
- Length of Courses: Most courses are 3-4 hours
- Format: Some courses are in person and some are online
- Intended Audience: Courses appropriate for students, alumni, researchers, public health practitioners, and allied professionals
- Continuing Education Credits: Most courses earn 1.5 CEU or 15 CPH
Learn more about the Summer Institute
Health and Human Rights Advocacy Course
Drexel’s Office of Global Health, in partnership with the non-profit organization Asia Catalyst, developed a free online course.
This course was created to provide tools and strategies to human rights activists, community advocates, grassroots organizers, and global health students in Asia, the United States, and beyond.
- Cost: Free
- Length of Training: 10 hours
- Learning Level: Introductory
- Requirements: High-speed internet connection, a computer that can stream videos
- Intended Audience: This training is appropriate for anyone interested in learning more about human rights advocacy.
Register for "Know It, Prove It, Change It"
Mid-Atlantic Regional Public Health Training Center
Dornsife's Center for Public Health Practice is home of the federally-funded Mid-Atlantic Regional Public Health Training Center (MAR-PHTC), a collaborative project with the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health with the goal of increasing the technical skills of the public health and health care workforce.
Courses and workshops have included Advanced Budgeting, Beginning Equity Conversations, Adverse Childhood Experiences, Project Management for Public Health Professionals, Risk Communication for Public Health, and Online Training Development Rubrics.
- Cost: Free
- Length of Courses: Varies from 30 minutes to several hours
- Format: Most are online or on-demand/self-paced
- Intended Audience: Courses appropriate for public health practitioners with varying professional experiences
- Continuing Education Credits: Some courses earn CPH/CE credit
Learn more about MAR-PHTC trainings and courses
Public Health Webinars and Symposia
Dornsife frequently hosts free public health webinars, lectures, and symposia that are open to everyone.
Timely and evolving topics touch on human rights, reproductive health, medical cannabis, structural racism, immigrant health, LGTBQ health, and many more.
- Cost: Free
- Length of Events: Most are 1 hour long
- Format: Some events are in person and some are online
- Intended Audience: Faculty, students, alumni, and public health professionals
- Continuing Education Credits: Some like the Population Health Spotlight Series earn CPH credit
To learn about upcoming events check out the calendar and subscribe to our school's monthly newsletter.
APHA Course Catalog
The American Public Health Association (APHA) offers on-demand and live public health courses, some of which earn continuing education credits. Browse by category or search for a specific course.
- Cost: Varies. APHA members receive a discount on all courses and events.
- Length of Courses: Most are a couple of hours
- Format: Some are live and some are on-demand/self paced
- Intended Audience: Courses appropriate for students, researchers, and public health practitioners
- Continuing Education Credits: Some earn CPH/CE credit
Learn more about APHA's digital library
An Introduction to Public Health
Introduction to Public Health Course
Are you interested in studying public health but want to know more before you make an investment?
Register for the Dornsife School of Public Health’s non-credit "Foundations of Public Health: Public Health History, Philosophy and Values" course.
This course provides a broad introduction to public health, as well as an understanding of how specialized health research contributes to achieving the goals of public health.
It consists of short videos taught by Dornsife faculty members Jerry Fagliano, PhD, MPH, Associate Clinical Professor and Chair of Environmental and Occupational Health Department; Jennifer Kolker, MPH, Clinical Professor in the Health Management and Policy Department; and Alexis Roth, PhD, MPH, Associate Professor in the Community Health and Prevention Department.
This course is specifically designed to meet the CEPH Foundational Public Health Knowledge requirement.
- Cost: $350
- Length of Training: 10 hours, self-paced modules
- Learning Level: Introductory
- Requirements: High-speed internet connection, a computer that can stream videos, and purchase of a textbook
- Intended Audience: This training is appropriate for current and future public health practitioners with varying professional experiences and diverse educational backgrounds.
Register for Foundations of Public Health
Free Introduction to Public Health Module
Test drive the "Foundations of Public Health" course with this free, introductory module. In four 15-minute videos, hear from Dornsife professors about the fundamentals of public health:
- Public health history, philosophy, and values
- Core functions of public health
- 10 essential services of public health
- Primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention in population health
This free module includes suggested readings and an optional multiple-choice test at the end.
Register for Free Test Module
Advance your career and open yourself to professional opportunities with Drexel Dornsife.
Email an Advisor
Request More Information