What is the Online Master of Science in Global Health?
The online Master of Science (MS) in Global Health at Drexel University’s Dornsife School of Public Health is a Master’s program that prepares students to make a difference on a global scale.
Interdisciplinary in nature and taught by Drexel Dornsife's highly respected faculty, this program is designed to help students gain a broad understanding of global health with a focus on issues like:
- Urban and Environmental Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- Human Rights
- Social Justice
- Climate Change
Why is Global Health Important?
Global health is important because it focuses on understanding and addressing current and emerging public health issues facing the world today.
Some global health issues requires urgency, while some require ongoing, phased research.
At its core, the practice of global health should be "grounded in scientific evidence, conducted in partnership with affected communities, and centered on dignity and respect for human rights," wrote Joe Amon, PhD, MSPH, in the Office of Global Health's annual report.
By studying global health, students learn to see the connections between health challenges in their hometown and health challenges around the world.
Why Pursue an MS in Global Health at Drexel Dornsife?
Online students learn from the same faculty as their peers on-campus. The online MS in Global Health program provides you with the flexibility, resources, and skills that you need to advance your career as a global health professional:
Flexibility: No residency component required
Convenience: The Online MS in Global Health at Drexel Dornsife can be completed in 12 months (full-time) or in 2 years on a part-time schedule
Affordability: Online students receive tuition savings compared to Drexel's regular tuition rate and are eligible for financial aid
Student support: Online students have access to many of Drexel University's resources, including the library, writing center, and career services.
Reputation: U.S. News & World Report ranks Dornsife the #1 graduate school of public health in Philadelphia and tied for #22 in the country. Dornsife is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Global health students learn to act ethically and think creatively to find solutions to global health issues, all while analyzing national and international health systems and finding the best ways to engage with vulnerable communities.
Online MS in Global Health Competencies and Learning Objectives
Students in the Online MS in Global Health program will be prepared to:
- Analyze the roles, relationships, and resources of the entities influencing global health
- Apply ethical approaches in global health research and practice
- Apply monitoring and evaluation techniques to global health programs, policies, and outcomes
- Propose sustainable and evidence-based multi-sectoral interventions, considering the social determinants of health specific to the local area
- Design sustainable workforce development strategies for resource-limited settings
- Display critical self-reflection, cultural humility, and ongoing learning in global health
Read more about the Online MS in Global Health on the Drexel University Online website.
Master of Science in Global Health Online Admissions
The Drexel University Dornsife School of Public Health seeks students with intellectual and interpersonal competencies as well as those with potential for leadership. Our school has set a high priority on establishing a student body that is representative of the nation's population. We strive to recruit and admit applicants from underrepresented minority groups who can contribute to the richness of our student population and to that of the nation's public health professionals.
To be considered for the Online MS in Global Health program, students should have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent international institution. A GPA of at least 3.0 is preferred.
Application Requirements for the Online MS in Global Health
Applicants will need to submit the following:
- Online application (there is no cost to apply)
- Official transcripts from every college-level institution you attended (academic records from institutions outside the U.S. must undergo a credentials evaluation)
- English proficiency test score (TOEFL or IELTS), if applicable
- Two letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives
Applications for the online Master’s in Global Health program do not require the GRE.
To learn more about admission and application requirements, visit Drexel University Online.
Master's in Global Health Online Curriculum
The program is designed for those who want to study both the theory and practice of global health, with a focus on issues such as:
- Urban health
- Communicable and chronic diseases
- Reproductive and child health
- Human rights and global health ethics
- Water and sanitation
- Advocacy and social justice
Online MS in Global Health Required Courses
- BST 571 Introduction to Biostatistics - 3 credits
- CHP 607 Public Health Ethics - 3 credits
- CHP 660 Global Health Ethics - 1.5 credits
- CHP 661 Monitoring and Evaluation in Global Health Programs and Advocacy - 1.5 credits
- CHP 673 Process Monitoring and Outcomes Evaluation for Community Health Programs - 3 credits
- EOH 560 Overview of Issues in Global Health - 3 credits
- EPI 570 Introduction to Epidemiology - 3.5 credits
- HMP 603 Health Systems Policy Analysis - 3 credits
Online MS in Global Health Degree Requirements
Completion of the MS in Global Health program requires:
- A minimum of 45 quarter credits
- Completion of a capstone project that includes a high-quality written product and presentation
How Long Does A Masters In Global Health Take?
There is flexibility to complete the MS in Global Health in 12-months (on a full-time schedule) or in two years (on a part-time schedule). The MS in Global Health sample plan of study outlines several paths to complete the program.
Learn more about the Master of Science in Global Health Online Courses and Curriculum.
What Can You Do With a Master's in Global Health
A Master’s Degree in Global Health prepares students for a variety of career paths, including local and international research, policy, and program management.
Careers of global health professionals include:
- Global health educator
- Global health program manager
- Health communications manager
- Health services manager
- Research associate
- Policy analyst
Where Can You Work With an MS in Global Health?
Graduates of the MS in Global Health program have found employment in many different places including:
- Health facilities
- Research organizations
- International organizations
- Government agencies
- Global health companies
- Global technical agencies
Is a Master's in Global Health Worth it?
As global health faces challenges on many fronts, today's employers are seeking out trained practitioners.
Global health experts will continue to be at the forefront of analyzing and addressing the most pressing public health issues facing the world today.