Students can apply for the STAR Scholars Program in two ways: (1) during the admissions process to the University and (2) during the mid-year application process.
Mid-Year Application Cycle
The STAR Scholars application is now closed.
The STAR Scholars Application will consist of the following elements:
- Online Application: The online application will be made available on this page when the application cycle opens on the last day of classes of Fall Term. Each applicant must fill out and submit the online application (with all accompanying materials) before the deadline. No exceptions will be made to the specified deadline.
- Written Essays: Each applicant must write two essays: (1) a personal statement, which will offer students the opportunity to explain how participating in STAR will benefit them, and (2) a statement of academic/creative interests, which will offer students the opportunity to showcase their curiosity and interest in their field. Each essay should be between 500-1,000 words and will be submitted via the online application as uploaded documents. Specific prompts will be provided by the start of the mid-year application cycle.
- Recommendation: Each applicant must obtain one primary recommendation from an individual who falls into at least one of the following categories:
- Has "professor" or "instructor" in their official job title and is employed by Drexel University
- Has taught the student in a Drexel course
The recommendation should be submitted directly through the application portal. Please note: An application will not be considered complete without a primary recommendation.
Recommendations from teaching assistants, graduate students who are not instructors, or teachers/professors outside of Drexel will only be accepted as supplementary recommendations, which may be sent directly to Undergraduate Research & Enrichment Programs via email (email@example.com). Applicants will be limited to submitting one (1) supplementary recommendation.
Applications will be reviewed by members of the UREP staff and external reviewers, including faculty and alumni. Decisions will be communicated to all applicants by the end of Winter Term.