For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Division of Biomedical Science Programs Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply to a biomedical science graduate degree program if I completed a bachelor's degree in three years?

Unfortunately, we cannot determine if a three-year course of study is equivalent to a four-year degree without a detailed analysis of each course on your transcript. This course-by-course transcript evaluation analysis will help us understand the four-year equivalency for courses and grades obtained at three-year institutions.

Can my application be reviewed without the course-by-course transcript evaluation?

The Admissions Committee will review applications without the course-by-course transcript evaluation. However, a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member must be provided if admitted.

My application is incomplete. Can I still be invited for an interview?

Your application will be reviewed even if your application is incomplete. If you are invited for an interview, the missing application items, such as transcripts and/or letters of recommendation, will be temporarily waived to mark your application as complete, and you can move to the interview phase.

Please note that the University is not obligated to make an admissions decision based on an incomplete application.

Why do I continue to receive emails about an incomplete application if I have submitted all the application requirements?

You will continue to receive an automated Incomplete Application email notification if the documents in your application are unofficial. If admission is offered into the program, the offer is contingent upon your submitting the original documents required for matriculation.

Where can I complete the math/science GPA form?

Once you submit your application, log back into the applicant portal, and you will be able to complete the Math/Science GPA form. International students, please note that the Math/Science GPA form can only be completed with the course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member.

How can I complete the math/science GPA form?

The Math/Science GPA form is based on the following courses: Biological Science, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics (BCPM). The Math/Science GPA form automatically calculates your information using a 4.0-grade scale. The form will not calculate correctly if the information entered is not on a 4.0-grade scale. Therefore, international students must use a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member to complete the Math/Science GPA form.

To complete the form, begin by entering the term the course was taken, and then in the BCPM column, you will enter a B if it is a biology course, a C if it is a chemistry course, a P if it is a physics course or an M if it is a math course. Then enter the grade, and it will automatically calculate the weight; when you enter the hours, it automatically calculates the points. There are different sections for undergraduate, post-bac and graduate courses.

How can I add additional documents to my application?

To add additional documents to your application after submission, please email the application materials to:

Do I have to provide an English proficiency test?

International applicants whose first (or native) language is not English and those who have not completed their undergraduate degree in the U.S. must take an approved English proficiency exam and request that results be forwarded to the Admissions Office. Approved tests include the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo or Cambridge English examinations. The official score report must be sent directly from the testing service; photocopies will not be accepted.

Additionally, permanent residents whose first language is not English may be asked to submit official TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or Duolingo scores.

The University’s minimum scores are:
iBT TOEFL – 79
ELTS – 6.5
PTE – 61
Cambridge – 185
Duolingo – 110

Can I be exempt from the English proficiency requirement?

Applicants whose native language is English and are citizens of the following countries: American Samoa, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British West Indies, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Ecuador, England, Ghana, Guam, Ireland/Northern Ireland, Jamaica, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Mauritius, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Puerto Rico, Scotland, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad/Tobago, Uganda, Virgin Islands, Wales and Zimbabwe are exempt from the English proficiency requirement.

Applicants from outside these countries who can show with university-provided documentation that their BS or MS degree was taught fully in English can apply for an English proficiency waiver during the application process. The applicant should upload any documents proving this, and the Admissions Services team will then review the waiver request before department review.

Applicants who received an undergraduate or graduate degree from an academic institution in the U.S., U.K. or Canada are exempt from the proficiency exam.

Where can I send my transcripts?

Official transcripts must be sent directly to Drexel from all the colleges/universities that you have attended. Transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope with the college/university seal over the flap. Please note that transcripts are required regardless of the number of credits taken or if the credits were transferred to another school. An admission decision may be delayed if you do not send transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.

What is Drexel's mailing address and school code?

The mailing addresses are:

By Postal Mail:
Drexel University
Application Processing
PO Box 34789
Philadelphia, PA 19101-4789

By Express Courier (DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc.):
Drexel University
Application Processing
3141 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2876

Drexel’s school code is 2194.

Does the University provide any funding for PhD students?

PhD candidates receive a full-tuition fellowship, a monthly stipend and health insurance. Students who want dental and vision insurance are responsible for the cost. Additionally, students are responsible for covering their student fees each term.

You do not need to contact the faculty to start your application or find a lab. You will conduct lab rotations in your first year, giving you experience and access to a mentor.

Note: Potential graduate students do not apply directly to faculty or a university department; rather, potential graduate students apply to a specific graduate program.

What is the cost of tuition for Master's students?

The cost of tuition changes yearly. Please visit the link below for further information.

Please refer to individual websites for additional information about specific program requirements; a link to the online application and application deadlines can be found at:

 Back to Top

Michael Bouchard, PhD - Director, Biomedical Science Programs

Michael Bouchard, PhD
Director, Division of Biomedical Science Programs