Manager's Checklist for New Employees
Congratulations on your new employee!
This checklist is designed to assist you with the various steps that need to be completed to make your new employee feel welcome and successful. Please contact your Talent Acquisition consultant with questions or concerns.
Preparing for Your Employee's First Day
We encourage you to prepare the following:
Office/desk and computer
- Contact Procurement Services for office furniture.
- Contact Real Estate and Facilities to request office space.
- Contact Drexel IT to purchase a computer or to have an existing computer reconfigured.
- Contact Telecommunications department to order a new phone or have an existing one reconfigured.
- Check to make sure that the employee's voicemail box has been set up.
- Plan ahead to ensure that your new employee has all required office supplies, including pens, paper, post-it message pads, office keys, etc.
- Order business cards through Smart Source.
Your Employee's First Day
In preparation, supervisors should reach out to their new hire to welcome them to the University and provide them with a schedule for their first week of employment. All new Professional Staff hires will receive a link to attend a “Drexel Virtual Welcome Session.” The Virtual Welcome Sessions have taken the place of the Welcome Aboard Orientation and are being held every other Wednesday from 10 a.m.-11 a.m. The new employee will receive an invite depending on their start date.
As a leader in your department, take the time to perform your own department orientation for your new employee, which will include, but is not limited to:
Discuss office operations and initial expectations
- Division Information
- Department Information
- Position Information
- Performance Information
- Employee Handbook
Tour of your building and facilities
- Office / conference room
- Office supplies / copy / fax machine
- Washrooms / vending machines
- Coffee / lunch options
- Emergency Exit / First Aid
Office keys (if necessary)
Within Your Employee's First Two Weeks
After your employee attends new hire orientation, Human Resources will kick off their Introductory Period Evaluation in the online performance evaluation software. Meet with your employee and discuss what their goals should be for the coming months. Visit the Performance Management Process section to learn more about this process.
Encourage your employee to register for an Employee Development Training session.