For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Readmission to Drexel University

What Is Readmission?

Readmission is the process for previously enrolled Drexel students who have inactive status and did not earn a degree to re-enroll at the University. If your record has been inactivated due to withdrawal from the University, academic dismissal, or registration inactivity for four consecutive quarters or three consecutive semesters, you will need to be readmitted to your program in order to continue your education at Drexel.

Effective as of the 2018–2019 academic year, students must submit an application for readmission through the Office of Admissions. The Admissions Committee will review all applications for readmission to Drexel in conjunction with criteria established by the academic programs. 

Do I Need to Be Readmitted to Drexel?

If you meet any of the following criteria, you must apply for readmission to Drexel:

  • If you have not registered or been enrolled for four or more consecutive quarters or three or more consecutive semesters (one full academic year).
  • If you officially withdrew from the University.
  • If you were academically dismissed, not reinstated, and did not return for four or more consecutive quarters or three or more consecutive semesters.
  • If you have taken a leave of absence for four or more consecutive quarters or three or more consecutive semesters (one full academic year).
  • If you dropped all courses during the add/drop period of your first term at the University and did not continue on to a second term, regardless of the time away from Drexel University.

You do not need to apply for readmission if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • If you are a student who did not officially withdraw from Drexel AND you have not been enrolled in classes for less than a year (four consecutive quarters or three consecutive semesters), you are still considered active. Please contact your academic advisor to discuss restarting enrollment in your program.
  • If you are a student who will have or has graduated, or are a previous non-degree, non-matriculated, or visiting student applying to a degree granting program, you must apply using the traditional admissions process.
  • If you are a student who has only previously enrolled as a undergraduate student and are now looking to attend a graduate/professional program, you must apply using the traditional admissions process.

What Are the Application Steps for Readmission?

Before you apply for readmission, you should review the following:


You will need to resolve any holds on your record before you can be considered for readmission. The most common holds are financial, academic, and judicial (student conduct).

To learn if you have a hold, please log in via DrexelOne. If you no longer have access to DrexelOne, please contact Drexel Central.

Satisfactory Academic Progress 

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the process by which your prior academic coursework is used to evaluate your eligibility for federal financial aid. If you are offered readmission, your SAP status will be the same as of the date of your last enrollment at Drexel (any coursework completed at other institutions while you are not enrolled at Drexel does not impact SAP). If you are determined to be failing SAP, you will be ineligible to receive federal financial aid for the first year you are back at Drexel; you will be evaluated for eligibility again after your first year back is complete.

Please note: Your SAP status does not affect your readmission application.

You can view more information at the Drexel Central Satisfactory Academic Progress page.

To determine your current SAP status, please log in via DrexelOne. If you no longer have access to DrexelOne, please contact Drexel Central.

Applying for Financial Aid

Students seeking readmission to Drexel must reapply for federal and state financial aid. Students will be automatically re-evaluated for merit based awards once their application is complete. Students are not automatically eligible for the same financial aid assistance they originally received.

Application Process

Once you have reviewed the preliminary points above, you can submit your application:

  • Submit an application:
  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (domestic students only).
  • If you have completed coursework at another college or university since you were last enrolled at Drexel, please ensure that you submit official transcripts to be added to your application. If the transcripts you submitted with your previous application are still on file, they will be added to your readmission application within one week of your application submission.
  • The term of reentry you request when applying for readmission will be considered by the Admissions Committee. However,  the committee and the college or school that houses your program may determine that it is best for you to reenter in a different term. If so, you will be notified by Admissions.
  • Students applying for a master's program have a five-year degree completion timeframe if they have previously earned a master's from Drexel; if they don't have a master's from Drexel, the completion timeframe is seven years. A leave of absence does not remove time from these completion timeframes. 
  • For students who were academically dismissed, further information may be requested by the academic department for the review of your academic reinstatement.


Your completed readmission application must be received no later than two months prior to the start of the term to which you wish to be readmitted.

Students who require reinstatement from academic dismissal are encouraged to apply early, as the review for your academic reinstatement will occur at the same time you are reviewed for readmission. You must supply an additional essay that explains why you are petitioning for reinstatement.