Two-Year Residency Program

The Drexel University 2-Year Residency Program has been developed to provide a living environment that complements the student's educational experience and contributes to the student's growth as a member of the University community and beyond. To facilitate this experience, full-time undergraduate students whose permanent address, as stated in their official University Record, is outside of a 10-mile radius of the University City Campus, are required to live in a Drexel Residence Hall for their first year. During the students second year, they are required to live in a Drexel residence hall, Drexel fraternity/sorority house (with invitation from the organization), or University Affiliated Housing (American Campus Communities': The Summit, Chestnut Square, or University Crossings), or the Haven at Drexel.

First-Year Housing Options

Second-Year Housing Options

Housing and Residence Life is in no way associated, affiliated with, or connected in any way to any of their affiliates or related organizations.

Housing Exemption Requests

Students may request an exemption from Drexel's 2-Year Residency Program due to co-op, study abroad, or if they are a commuter student. 

Students with special needs or an extenuating circumstance including financial, medical, or religious reasons may also request an accommodation. Should a student request an accommodation after prior use of housing services without such an accommodation, the student may be asked to clarify or explain the change in circumstances prompting the request. 

A second-year student who would like to request an exemption from the 2-Year Residency Program for the reasons listed below must complete a 2-Year Residency Residency Exemption/Accommodation Request Form located in the Housing and Dining Portal. The Housing and Dining Portal can be found within DrexelOne.

Housing Exemption Reasons 

  • Commuting from permanent address within a 10-mile radius of Drexel University (view approved zip code list [PDF]) with a University listed parent or guardian.
  • Co-op opportunity that is outside of the 10-mile radius of Drexel University AND opts to live outside the 10-mile radius of Drexel University.
  • Study Abroad opportunity
  • Financial Hardship
  • Religious Accommodation
  • Medical Accommodation
  • Other Extenuating Circumstances


Prior to the start of the academic year, incoming first-year students may request a change in residency status by contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 215.895.2400 or

Second-year students who fail or refuse to comply with the 2-Year Residency Program and/or furnish false information to a University official or office will be assessed a housing charge equivalent to two academic quarters, posted to their student account at the beginning of week seven of the spring quarter during the student's second year. Non-compliant students will be charged the double-occupancy, suite-style rate within the applicable assessment year.


For financial aid purposes, University-affiliated housing is considered "off-campus" on the FAFSA.

Contact Us

Monday – Friday
8 a.m. – 5 p.m.