Spinal Cord Research Meetings
Spinal cord research meetings take place on Fridays at noon in the Michael Goldberger Conference Room (Room 276), Queen Lane Campus, unless otherwise noted.
- December 7: First Friday presentations from the Lane, Rybak and Tom Labs
- December 14: Open
- December 28: No Center meeting
- November 2: SFN 2018, no meeting
- November 9: Open mic sharing of SFN highlights
- November 16: No meeting scheduled
- November 23: Thanksgiving, no meeting
- November 30: Dr. Catherine von Reyn
- October 5: First Friday presentations from the Giszter, Hou and Houle Labs
- October 12: Dr. Jessica Ausborn
- October 19: Student practice for Discovery Day poster presentations, send Dr. Houle your name to be included in the presentation list
- October 26: Dr. Itzhak Fischer, "Cell Transplantation in SCI: Past, Present and Future"
- September 7: First Friday presentations from the Detloff, Dougherty and Fischer Labs
- September 14: Mark Urban, PhD candidate, Jefferson University, Angelo Lepore’s lab, "Targeted Restoration of Respiratory Neural Circuitry Following Cervical Spinal Cord Injury"
- September 21: No meeting
- September 28: Dr. Eileen Collyer
August 17: Research update, Dr. Marie-Pascale Cote and Dillon Malloy
- August 24: Research update, Jani Bilchak and Guillaume Caron
- August 31: Dr. Taka Mitsui, University of Yamanashi, Japan – “Function of Clock Genes in the Bladder”
June 1: First Friday for presentations by Dougherty, Houle, Lane, Rybak and Tom Labs
- June 8: Shriners-Temple Symposium on Neural Repair, No PPG
- June 15: Lab research overview, Dr. Veronica Tom
- June 22: Research update, member of Tom Lab
- May 4: First Friday for presentations by Cote, Detloff, Giszter, Hou Labs
- May 11: Dr. Angelo Lepore, Jefferson University
- May 16: Neuroscience Retreat and Research Day. 8:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Queen Lane, SAC Room A and B
- May 18: No PPG
- May 25: Presentation of lab overview, Dr. Marie-Pascale Cote
- April 6: Brittany Charsar, MD/PhD student, Jefferson University – "Strategies to Restore the Respiratory Neural Circuit after Cervical Spinal Cord Injury" (Room 276)
- Canceled April 13: Lab research overview, Dr. Megan Detloff (Room G23)
- April 20: Research update, Soha Chhaya (Room G23)
- April 27: Presentation from Dr. Hou's lab (Room G23)
- March 2: (Will meet in G23G) First Friday for presentations by Dougherty, Lane, Rybak and Tom Labs
- March 9: (Will meet in G23) Nancy Manik from Scientifica Co. – Product Development "Built with Neuroscience in Mind"
- March 16: Dr. Vittorio Caggiano, research staff member, Computational Biology Center, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center:
Should I Stay or Should I Go: Midbrain Circuits for Initiating, Controlling and Halting Locomotion
- March 23: Lab research overview, Dr. Kim Dougherty
- March 30: Research update, members of Dougherty Lab
- February 2: First Friday for presentations by Cote, Detloff, Fischer, Hou Labs
- February 16: Lab research overview, Dr. Simon Giszter
- February 23: Research update, member of Giszter Lab
- January 12: First Friday presentations from Dougherty, Houle, Lane, Rybak and Tom Labs
- December 15 - research presentation Cameron and Jacki from Dr. Hou lab
- December 8 - First Friday presentations from these labs - Drs. Cote, Detloff, Fischer, Giszter, Hou
- December 1 - International Symposium on Neural Regeneration - No PPG
- November 17 - Dr. Megan Detloff lab overview and practice for International Symposium presentation
- November 10 - SFN starts - No PPG
- November 3 - First Friday presentations from these labs - Drs. Dougherty, Houle, Lane, Rybak and Tom
- November 1 - The following labs will have 10 minutes each to discuss/present something of interest from their own research, from a lab meeting, from a conference attended or from a recent journal article/review: Dougherty, Houle, Lane, Rybak, Tom
- October 27 - Poster presentation/discussion by postdoctoral fellows - Drs. Di Wu, Guillaume Caron and Leonardo Garcia
- October 20 - Overview of lab research by Dr. Shaoping Hou
- October 6 - The following labs will have 10 minutes each to discuss/present something of interest from their own research, from a lab meeting, from a conference attended or from a recent journal article/review: Cote, Detloff, Fischer, Giszter, Hou
- September 29 - Overview of Houle lab research
- September 22 - Lab introductions, discussion of new presentation ideas, discussion of core facilities
- September 8 - Dr. Sarah Johnson, Office of Technology Commercialization, and Dr. Katherine Jordan, Drexel Coulter Program Director. Both are experts in the area of technology transfer and potential clinical translation of basic research
- June 23 - Dr. Guillaume Caron - Exercise modulates pre-synaptic inhibition after SCI
- June 16 - Temple-Shriner’s Symposium - no PPG
- June 9 - Vitaliy Marchenko - "Epidural stimulation for maintaining fictive breathing following high cervical complete spinal cord injury - focus on phrenic nucleus"
- June 2 - Bharadwaj Nandakumar - "Examining sensorimotor integration in the trunk motor cortex in naive adult rats"
- May 26 - Dr. Tanya Bezdudnaya - "Muscle stimulation to promote respiratory plasticity following high cervical spinal cord injury"
- May 5 - Dr. Shaoping Hou - Supraspinal dopaminergic regulation of micturition: implications for urinary improvement following spinal cord injury
- April 28 - Eugene Mironets - Effects of below-injury sTNFa/TNFR1 signaling in the development of autonomic dysreflexia and ensuing cardiovascular and peripheral immune dysfunction
- April 21 - Nesta Ha - Mechanisms contributing to the rhythmogenicity of Shox2 interneurons
- April 14 - Lana Zholudeva - Neural Cell Transplantation to Promote Phrenic Repair After Cervical Spinal Cord Injury
- April 7 - Gary Blumenthal - Role of Cortical Reorganization in At-Level Central Neuropathic Pain
- March 31 - Kendall Schmidt - Optogenetically mediated neuromodulation of motor cortex enhances voluntary control of trunk in adult T9/T10 complete transected rats
- March 24 - Dr. Jessica Ausborn - Neural interactions within and between the pre-Bötzinger and Bötzinger complexes: Insights from site-and phase-specific optogenetic activation of inhibitory neurons
- March 17 - Soha Chhaya
- March 10 - Dr. Simon Danner - Central control of interlimb coordination and speed-dependent gait expression
- March 3 - Renaud Jeffrey-Gauthier - visiting student in Cote lab
- February 24 - Dr. Di Wu - Combining caRheb expression and ChABC treatment promotes functional axonal regeneration following C2HX
- February 17 - Dr. Tatiana Bezdudnaya - Chronic neural stimulation to enhance respiratory plasticity following high cervical SCI
- February 10 - Dr. Sara Jane Ward, Temple University - Cannabinoids for Treatment of Spinal Cord Injury and Associated Neuropathic Pain
- February 3 - Kaitlin Farrell - Chronic inflammation and depression after SCI
- January 27 - Dr. Jeffrey Twiss, University of South Carolina
- January 20 - Dr. Eileen Collyer, UCSD, Postdoctoral Candidate "Combination of Rehabilitative Training with Neural Stem Cell Transplantation for Improvement of Functional Recovery after Spinal Cord Injury"
Back to Top
- December 9 - Dr. David Logan (Giszter Lab), Drexel University, talk entitled "Towards a novel approach to locomotion rehabilitation after SCI leveraging cycle phase and CNS stimulation"
- December 2 - Dr. Christopher Thompson, Temple University, talk entitled "Measurements of synaptic drive and intrinsic excitability through the discharge of motoneurons"
- November 18 - Dr. Frederic Bretzner, University Laval, Quebec - Shedding light on the brainstem and midbrain control of locomotion
- October 28 - Dr. Megan Detloff and Soha Chhaya will present information from a symposium on "Pain and Itch"
- October 14 - Seminar presented by Dr. Sarah Mondello (Univ. Washington) entitled "Building bridges with enzymatic and optical interventions". Lunch for graduate students and postdocs afterward
- October 7 - Dr. Veronica Tom will present information discussed at a recent NIH workshop that was entitled "Spinal Cord Injury Preclinical Data Workshop: Developing a FAIR Share Community"
- September 23 - Discussion about 2 proposals that will be submitted: one for a regular session on primary afferent plasticity from Megan Detloff and the second for a panel discussion on "Exercise as a therapy for neurological dysfunction secondary to spinal cord injury: How to better move physical rehabilitation from animal models of SCI to clinical implementation"
- September 16 - Research Update by Dr. Veronica Tom
- June 17 - Research update presented by Veronica Tom
- May 27 - Research Overview presented by Dr. Shaoping Hou
- May 13 - Research update by Dr. Veronica Tom
- May 6 - Basic principle of patch clamp recording - discussion led by Drs. Kim Dougherty and Wen Jun Gao
- April 29 - Review of a recent paper from the Tuszynski lab, led by Dr. Ying Jin
- April 22 - Dr. Michael Lane will be presenting a research update
- April 1 - Dr. Mei Xu, Assistant Professor of Anatomy, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- March 25 - Microglial reactivity in a neonatal rat model of traumatic brain injury. Presentation by Lauren Hanlon, Drexel University, Neurobiology and Anatomy, Philadelphia, PA
- March 18 - Research Update. Presentation by Kimberly Dougherty, PhD. Assistant Professor, Neurobiology and Anatomy, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- March 11 - Microglial reactivity in a neonatal rat model of traumatic brain injury. Presentation by Lauren Hanlon, Drexel University, Neurobiology and Anatomy, Philadelphia, PA
Back to Top
- September 29 - 11:30am: Gregoire Courtine, PhD will be giving a seminar.
- September 14 - 12pm: Antigona Ulndreaj will be giving a seminar.
- May 29 - 3:30pm: Kiki Yang, Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA. Modularity in full transection spinal cord injury models in rodents- new fundamental insights into spinal plasticity.
- May 27 - 12pm: Seminar by Murray Blackmore, PhD, Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI. Transcriptional Control of Axon Growth in the Central Nervous System.
- May 20 - 12pm: Seminar by Alon Friedman, PhD, Depts of Med Neuroscience and Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS.
- May 18 - 6-8pm: Join WHYY and Pint of Science as we celebrate groundbreaking scientific research in our backyard. Dr. Michael Lane, an innovator in the field of spinal cord injury from Drexel University College of Medicine. Where: WHYY, 150 N. 6th St, Philadelphia PA 19106.
- May 6 - 12pm: Seminar by Ming-Hu Han, PhD, Dept of Pharmacology & Systems Therapeutics, Friedman Brain Institute, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY.
- April 29 - 12pm: Seminar by Ronald Harris-Warrick, PhD, Dept of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. Role of identified spinal interneurons in health and after spinal cord injury.
- April 22 - 12pm: Seminar by Andrew Cohen, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.
- April 17 - 12pm: Seminar by Andrew Spence, Department of Bioengineering, College of Engineering, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA. Gait, posture, pogo-sticks and newfangled neurogenetics: How do many-legged animals control their locomotion?
- April 10 - 3:30pm: Seminar by David S. K. Magnuson, Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center, Louisville, KY. Conditional Silencing of Spinal Cord Interneurons: Hopping to a new tune.
- April 8 - 12pm: Seminar by Catherine Von Reyn, PhD, Janella Research Campus, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA. Using Neuroengineering to Investigate Sensorimotor Transformations.
- April 3 - 3:30pm: PPG Meeting: Muscle spindles feedback directs locomotor recovery and circuit reorganization after spinal cord injury.
- March 25 - 12pm: Seminar by Stephane Vinit, UFR des Sciences de la Sante, Universite de Versailles St Quentin en Yvelines, Montigny-le-Bretonneux, France.
- February 25 - 12pm: Seminar by Jeffrey C. Smith, Senior Investigator and Chief Cellular and Systems Neurobiology Section, NINDS, NIH, Bethesda, MD.
- February 20 - 12pm: PPG Meeting: Discussion about using d-mannose as a prophylactic measure to prevent UTIs in transected rats.
- February 13 - 12pm: PPG Meeting: Eugene Mironets will lead a discussion of the recent Nature paper from the Jerry Silver lab.
Back to Top