Graduate College Doctoral Fellowships (Blue & Gold)
Each year, the Graduate College offers, for open competition, a limited number of Graduate College Doctoral Fellowships that are designed to encourage the recruitment of highly qualified students for all of Drexel’s PhD and doctoral-level programs. Fellowships are awarded in two tiers:
- Gold Graduate College Fellows receive a sum of $10,000 distributed over two years in addition to the stipends offered to them by their program*
- Blue Graduate College Fellows receive a sum of $4,000 distributed over two years in addition to the stipends offered to them by their program*
*LeBow fellows will have their award distributed over four years.
2021 Nomination Details
The Graduate College welcomes nominations from Associate Deans for Graduate Studies (ADGs) or their designee(s) for students who have been admitted to a PhD or doctoral-level program, have yet to begin their program of study and who will enroll full-time. (If the student is beginning a master’s program, it must be a required precursor to the doctoral-level program. Please note this in the comments within the application.)
Nominations are reviewed on a rolling basis over three rounds with the following deadlines:
- Monday, February 1, 2021 by 5 p.m. EST
- Monday, February 22, 2021 by 5 p.m. EST
- Monday, March 29, 2021 by 5 p.m. EDT
Nominations must be submitted by the ADG or designee in each college/school via the Drexel Funding Portal (InfoReady). A complete nomination packet MUST include all of the following materials organized in a single PDF document:
- Cover Page: Including nominee's full name, program, college/school and ADG/designee(s) and/or faculty nominator's name, title and email address
- Statement/Letter of Support: No more than 1-2 pages, written by the ADG or faculty nominator
- Nominee’s Transcripts
- Nominee’s Resume/CV
- Summary of Nominee's Scholarly, Research Achievements: No more than 1 page, indicates potential for impact, highly preferred by the committee
- List of Offers: A list of any other institutions from which the nominee has offers of admission, highly preferred, if possible
- Nominee’s Letters of Recommendation, if applicable
- OPTIONAL: Other Supporting Documentation, if relevant and applicable
Please note that we have removed the standardized test score requirements for 2021 to align with Graduate Admissions requirements.
Graduate College fellows will receive the award over the first two years, four years for LeBow students, of their program and are expected to fulfill the following requirements in order to retain their award.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5
- Fulfill one of the following criteria by the end of the fall quarter of the second year, third year for LeBow students;
- Apply for an external grant or fellowship (workshops and resources are available through Undergraduate Research & Enrichment Programs [UREP], which also serves graduate students);
- Significantly contribute to writing a grant proposal on behalf of the PI in your department;
- Win an external award for scholarly activity (e.g. best paper award); or
- Present at a Scholars Share session or contribute to an equivalent Graduate College program.
2021 Review Committee
- Chair: Anne Converse Willkomm, MFA, Assistant Dean, Graduate College, Assistant Clinical Professor and Department Head of Graduate Studies, Goodwin College of Professional Studies
- Edward Kim, PhD, Associate Professor, Computer Sciences, College of Computing and Informatics
- Ann Klassen, PhD, Professor, Community Health and Prevention, Dornsife School of Public Health
- Michael Lane, PhD, Associate Professor, Neurobiology & Anatomy, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies, College of Medicine
- Kari Lenhart, PhD, Assistant Professor, Biology, College of Arts and Sciences
- Jocelyn Sessa, PhD, Assistant Professor, Biodiversity, Earth and Environmental Science, College of Arts and Sciences
- John MacLaren Walsh, PhD, Professor, Associate Department Head for Graduate Affairs and Research, Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering
If you have any questions regarding these Graduate College Doctoral Fellowships or would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.