New Researcher Resources
Welcome to Drexel University! The Department Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) would like to extend a warm welcome to you. The resources contained on this page will assist you in setting up a safe laboratory. We appreciate your assistance in creating a safe work environment.
All new researchers must register with EH&S. Please complete the New Researcher Registration Form [PDF] and submit it to EH&S at firstname.lastname@example.org. A team member from EH&S will contact you to discuss laboratory safety policies and provide assistance with laboratory setup.
All new researchers must complete the online laboratory safety training prior to initiating any work in the laboratory. EH&S utilizes a training platform called BioRAFT. The required training depends upon the work and materials involved, including use of chemicals, radioactive materials, biological materials, lasers, etc. EH&S will create a profile in BioRAFT once the New Researcher Registration Form [PDF] is completed and reviewed. The BioRAFT system will send you an email when the profile is ready. You need to log in to the system with your Drexel credentials to complete the profile setup.
Learn More About BioRAFT
- The Principal Investigator (PI) or Instructor in the teaching laboratory has responsibility for the health and safety of all laboratory personnel working in their laboratory.
- The PI or Instructor may delegate the safety duties for which they are responsible, but must ensure delegated safety duties are adequately performed by periodically checking the performance.
- Know all applicable health and safety rules and regulations, training and reporting requirements and standard operating procedures associated with laboratory safety.
- Identify hazardous conditions or operations in the lab, determine safe procedures and controls, and implement and enforce standard safety procedures.
- Establish standard safety operating procedures (general and protocol specific) and perform literature searches relevant to health and safety that is appropriate for the work.
- Consult with EH&S on use of high risk materials (not routine) such as use of particularly hazardous chemicals, biologics, toxins, select agents or conducting high risk experimental procedures so that special safety precautions may be taken.
- Maintain an updated chemical and hazardous material inventory and MSDS sheets for the laboratory.
- Ensure laboratory personnel under his/her supervision have access to and are familiar with the appropriate Laboratory Safety Manual(s).
- Supervisor is to train all laboratory personnel to work safely with hazardous materials and maintain records of laboratory specific training in the BioRAFT platform. Training must include informing laboratory personnel of the location and availability of Hazard Information.
- Promptly notify EH&S and/or Facilities Management should someone become aware that work place engineering controls (e.g., fume hoods) and safety equipment (e.g., emergency showers/eyewashes, fire extinguishers, etc.) become nonoperational.
- Ensure the provision and maintain, in functional working order, all appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) (e.g., lab coats, gloves, eye protection, etc.).
- Conduct monthly self-inspections of laboratory and maintain records of inspections, as required.
- Prompt report laboratory accidents and injuries to EH&S and the Office of Risk Management. Serious injuries MUST be immediately reported to EH&S.
- Inform EH&S and facilities personnel, of potential lab-related hazards.
- Identify and minimize potential hazards to provide a safe environment for repairs and renovations.
- Maintain an accurate lab member and hazard list in BioRAFT.