What Career Can You Have With An MS In Information Systems Degree?
The Drexel Masters in Information Systems (MSIS) degree empowers students to pursue a wide array of information systems jobs. Our graduates go on to become leaders in a diverse range of global industries, including commerce, non-profit, and government sectors applying the skills they’ve learned to manage, maintain, analyze, and create information systems and databases.
With a Drexel MSIS degree, there is no “typical” information systems job description, as students develop the skills required to forge their own path in the field, fulfilling the growing need business and government entities have to harvest and analyze data in a secure, reliable system.
Some of the more widely-recognized career paths in information systems include:
- Application analyst - An application analyst, also known as an application systems analyst or software architect, is responsible for developing computer software while setting standards for other aspects of site development and maintenance. The median annual salary for a software architect is approximately $132,000.
- Cybersecurity analyst - Similar to a cybersecurity consultant, a cybersecurity analyst evaluates hardware, databases, and other components of a company’s technological systems to identify vulnerabilities to hacking or data breaches. According to PayScale, the average annual salary for a cybersecurity analyst is over $75,000.
- Data analyst - The job duties of a data analyst generally include data collection, data visualization, and programming. The average yearly income for a data analyst is around $57,000.
Data scientist - Similar to but distinct from a data analyst, a data scientist performs job duties like data cleansing, data correlation, and predictive modeling. A data scientist generally earns a median salary of around $95,000 per year.
- Database administrator - Database administration involves the storage, organization, migration, and configuration of data. The median yearly salary for a database administrator (DBA) is approximately $82,000.
Information architect - Information architects design and organize websites to present information as clearly and cohesively as possible. There are many subfields within this profession, such as data architecture. On average, information architects earn approximately $93,000 per year.
- Information systems manager - An information systems manager is responsible for coordinating and directing a group of tech professionals through tasks such as system set-up and maintenance. IS managers earn an average yearly salary of around $126,000, according to government statistics.
IT consultant - An IT consultant, or technology consultant, delivers ongoing tech support and expert troubleshooting for a wide range of projects and issues, such as removing computer viruses. An IT consultant generally earns between $60,000 and $90,000 per year.
Software developer - Software developers create, and perform ongoing maintenance to, original computer programs. The average salary for a software developer is approximately $92,000 per year, according to Glassdoor.
The median annual earnings for individuals with a MSIS is approximately $86,000, although that number stands to increase given the demand for educated professionals in the field.
By blending a high standard for academic achievement with a career-oriented, industry-focused approach, the fast-paced Drexel MSIS program both challenges and equips students to succeed in one of the world’s most rapidly-growing markets.