What Career Can You Have with an MS in Computer Science Degree?
For students considering a career in computer science, one question takes precedence: What types of careers are available with a computer science degree?” Students who graduate from Drexel’s MSCS program go on to pursue a diverse and rewarding range of career, including:
- Computational scientist - This career path deals with the development of advanced computational models and simulations to predict, troubleshoot and solve problems during the design and engineering phase of a project. The average annual earning for a computational scientist is $103,160.
- Computer specialist - A computer specialist helps companies or organizations, employees, users, and customers with technical issues for a wide range of computer software and peripherals. A computer specialist with a Master’s degree can expect to earn approximately $79,700 per year, although salaries can range depending on geographic location.
- Cybersecurity consultant - A cybersecurity consultant, also called an IT security consultant, analyzes computer software for potential weaknesses or vulnerabilities that could leave the technology open to hacking. According to Glassdoor, the salary for a cybersecurity consultant ranges from $52,000 to $120,000 per year.
- Database administrator - Database administrators, or DBAs, are responsible for organizing a company’s data. This may involve duties ranging from database migration and performance monitoring to troubleshooting and capacity planning. Depending on his or her certifications, the median pay for a database administrator is approximately $82,000 per year.
- Information systems manager - An information systems manager, or IS manager, leads a team of IT specialists in tasks such as planning, setting up, and maintaining various information systems. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median salary for an IS manager is approximately $139,000.
- IT consultant - Also referred to as technology consultants, IT consultants are responsible for providing comprehensive, expert technological guidance and support for various businesses and industries. This role generally involves duties like data analysis, software installation, and computer virus removal. The average salary for an IT consultant ranges from $60,000 to $90,000 per year.
- Software engineer - Software engineering, or computer programming, deals with designing and developing computer software by writing original code. Software engineers are also called programmers, developers, or simply “devs.” The average salary of a software engineer is approximately $99,000 per year.
- Systems analyst - Systems analysis utilizes information technology to design new systems that can help businesses operate more effectively and efficiently. A systems analyst, or system architect, can generally expect to earn anywhere from $53,000 to $137,000.
- Technical writer - Also called information developers, technical writers produce clear and original instructional content, such as technical documents for web applications. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a median yearly salary of approximately $68,000 for technical authors.
The median salary for individuals who hold a Master’s in Computer Science is $114,000 per year.
By integrating a hands-on graduate co-op program with a dual degree option, state-of-the-art equipment, and cutting-edge research technology, the Drexel Master’s Degree in Computer Science challenges students to develop dynamic new solutions while building professional pathways in one of today’s fastest-growing industries.
Please visit our Graduate Admissions page for admissions deadlines and requirements for the MS in Computer Science program.