Dyslexia Specialist (Wilson Reading System® Certification)
Drexel University School of Education
Drexel University School of Education's Graduate Dyslexia Specialist certification program prepares teachers and tutors to educate students who are reading below grade level or have been diagnosed with a language or reading disability.
What Can Drexel's Graduate Dyslexia Specialist Certification Do For You?
The graduate certificate in Dyslexia Specialist certification provides the courses and training hours needed for Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Level I certification. Students who complete this certificate would become eligible to be a certified (WRS) Level I instructor by the Wilson Language Training® Corporation.
How Long Does It Take to Earn a Certificate as a Dyslexia Specialist?
- Instructional Delivery: Campus, Online
- Calendar Type: Quarter
- Expected Time to Completion: 1 year
- Number of Credits to Completion: 12.0
Course descriptions may be found in the Drexel University Course Catalog.
The certificate is offered as a stand-alone professional development certificate, as a concentration in the MS in Special Education program, or as a customized concentration in the MS in Teaching Learning and Curriculum: Advanced Studies Track.
What are the Requirements to Earn a Certificate as a Dyslexia Specialist?
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate degree GPA will be considered along with undergraduate GPA)
- If you do not meet this requirement, you’re still encouraged to apply and your file will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Program Director
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- An essay describing why you're interested in pursuing the Dyslexia Specialist certification program. Please indicate if you hold any state teacher certifications (e.g. Secondary Mathematics; PreK-4; Elementary K-6, etc.)
- Additional requirements for International Students
Who is Eligible to Earn Dyslexia Specialist Certification?
- Certificate Level: Graduate
- Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree
- Certificate Type: Post-Baccalaureate
- Financial Aid Eligibility: Aid eligible
How Do I Apply to Earn Dyslexia Specialist Certification?
The Graduate Dyslexia Specialist certification program is taught 100% online but will require three term lab-practicum working one-on-one with a student who meets the eligibility requirements and submission of all required clearances. Students can get started by filling out the Drexel Online application.
For more information about this program, contact:
Dr. Lori Severino
Assistant Clinical Professor
Special Education Programs