Drexel University School of Education Admissions Overview
Drexel University School of Education
Drexel University’s School of Education is proud to provide a high quality of education to its students. The school is ranked among the top 55 schools of education in the nation by US News and World Report and the EdD program was named 2019 Program of the Year by the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate. Students graduate from Drexel prepared for a lifetime of success in a wide range of careers in education. Below you will find information related to education admissions at Drexel University.
Education Degrees, Certifications and Certificate Programs Offered at Drexel University
No matter where you are in your educational journey, Drexel has programs in education to fit your needs.
Undergraduate programs: Drexel offers a BS in Education degree program for students who wish to earn teaching certification in elementary, middle, and secondary education subject. For students who are interested in education, but not teaching, Drexel offers a BS in Education non-certification option that prepares students for careers in government, non-profit, and corporate education.
Graduate programs: Drexel offers a wide range of master’s degree programs to help students learn new skills and advance in their careers. Students can also complete a unique capstone sequence where they can collaborate with classmates across all programs.
Certificate and Certification programs: Drexel offers more than 20 graduate level certificate and certification programs to help you learn new skills or add additional state certifications to your resume.
Doctoral Programs: Drexel offers both a PhD in Education and an EdD in Educational Leadership and Management. Students in the EdD program can take courses online, on-campus in Philadelphia, or at Drexel’s Washington DC Center. The PhD program is ideal for students seeking careers as researchers or professors in education. The program is fully paid and students receive a monetary stipend while completing their research.
School of Education Admissions Requirements
Admission requirements for the School of Education are listed below. Please note that each academic program may have specific education degree requirements beyond what is listed below. Please visit the academic page for the program you are interested in to view all admission requirements.
School of Education Undergraduate Education Degree Admission Requirements
- Prerequisites include three years of mathematics (algebra I & II, geometry) and at least one year of laboratory science (biology, chemistry, or physics)
- Undergraduate admission application
- Application fee, $50
- Letters of recommendation
- Standardized test scores
- Financial aid information
- Proof of financial responsibility (international applicants only)
For more detailed information about on-campus admission requirements and deadlines, please visit Drexel University Undergraduate Admissions.
School of Education Online Undergraduate Education Degree Admission Requirements
- First-Year Students: Between 0 – 23 previous college semester credits from a regionally accredited institution* Applicant must have earned high school diploma or GED within the last 2 years.
- Transfer Students: A minimum of 24 previous college semester credits (36 quarter credits) from a regionally accredited institution, with a grade of C or better in content courses, or a grade of B or better in core pedagogy*
- College GPA of 2.5 or above (cumulative GPA of 3.0 must be achieved by end of program to obtain PA state teaching certification)
- Non-Matriculated Option: Drexel University also offers a non-matriculated option, where you can take courses without being enrolled in a degree-granting program.
*A transcript review will be conducted by a University advisor
School of Education graduate education degree admission requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A completed application
- Application fee of $65 is required for on-campus graduate programs. The fee is waived for all online programs
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Personal statement or essay
- Additional requirements for international students
Note: some programs may require a teaching certificate or degree beyond what is listed above. Please consult the admissions criteria for the specific program you are interested in prior to starting an application.
EdD in Educational Leadership and Management degree admission requirements
- A completed application
- Application fee of $65 is required for the on-campus EdD program. The fee is waived for the online program
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended verifying completion of a master's degree in education or an appropriate field (with a 3.5 GPA or better) and undergraduate degree in an appropriate major
- Resume indicating at least 3 years of work experience relevant to applicant's professional goals
- Three letters of recommendation – Use the Electronic Letter of Recommendation form to submit your recommendation letters
- The EdD program also requires three writing samples, along with other supplemental materials. Please visit the EdD admissions page to review all admission requirements
PhD in Education degree admission requirements
- A completed application
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (3.5 is preferred)
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Application fee, $65
- GRE test scores are required. TOEFL scores are required for international applicants or students who earned a degree outside the US
- Essay that describes career goals and includes research interests. The essay should include how the applicant’s research interests align with specific School of Education faculty.
- Letters of recommendation
- In-person or telephone interview
- Writing sample
Please visit Drexel University’s Graduate Admissions page for more information about application deadlines, requirements, and instructions on how to submit application materials.
Apply to Drexel University's School of Education
To apply for admission, please select the application for your program of interest.
Undergraduate Program Applications
Please use the following applications for undergraduate certificate and degree programs.
Graduate and Doctoral Program Applications
Please use the following applications for graduate certificates, certifications, master's and doctoral degree programs.
If you have any questions, or would like more information, please contact:
Assistant Director of Recruitment
Readmission to Drexel University’s School of Education
Students who have not enrolled in courses for more than 4 consecutive terms (1 academic year) or have an “inactive” status with the university will need to apply for readmission to the School of Education. Applications for readmission are reviewed by the Admissions Committee within Drexel’s University’s Office of Admissions using criteria established by the academic programs in the School of Education.
You will need to apply for readmission if you meet any of the following criteria:
- Took a leave of absence for four or more academic terms
- Have not registered or enrolled for courses for four of more academic terms
- Was academically dismissed and did not return for four or more academic terms
- Dropped all courses during the add/drop period in the first term and did not return for a second term
How to Apply for Readmission to Drexel University's School of Education
Students who meet any of the criteria above can apply for readmission through the applications listed below. Before applying for readmission, students will need to:
- Resolve any holds on your account (financial, academic, or judicial). To see if you have a hold, please log in to Drexel One. If you no longer have access to Drexel One, please contact Drexel Central.
- Request copies of transcripts from any institutions a student may have attended while away from Drexel University.
- Students will also need to prepare an additional essay for their application that explains why they are applying for reinstatement to the University.
Apply for Readmission for an On-Campus or Hybrid Program (indicate on the application that you have previously attended or enrolled)
Apply for Readmission for an Online Program (select “readmit student” as your status on the application)
Please note that it takes a few weeks to review readmission applications. Drexel University recommends that you apply no later than two months before the start of the term you wish to be admitted. There is no fee for applying for readmission to any School of Education program.
If you have any questions regarding readmission or your status, please contact your program manager or advisor.