More than 100 faculty members from the basic science and clinical departments attended Faculty Professional Development Day on June 1, at the Queen Lane Campus. All four basic science departments and 11 clinical departments were represented, and participants ranged from early-career to senior faculty.
Dena Hofkosh, MD, MEd, associate dean for faculty affairs at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, presented the keynote talk, "Promoting Faculty Well-Being," and led a discussion and workshop. Individual career planning was the next topic. Senior faculty offered CV review and feedback sessions, and 45 faculty members met one-on-one with a facilitator.
Faculty innovation was on display in what were called SNIP-ITs: 10 faculty members made TED talk–style presentations on topics ranging from "Social Determinants of Chronic Kidney Disease in Philadelphia" to "The Most Important Thing I Learned Since Residency." There were also a dozen poster presentations.
In celebration of faculty achievement, faculty awards were given to 14 deserving recipients, who were recognized for their excellence in scientific research, education, patient care, professionalism, community impact, leadership and mentoring.
2018 Mary Dewitt Pettit Fellowships
- Margaret Gilfillan, MD, Department of Pediatrics, for her project, "Exposure to Hyperoxia Results in MicroRNA-451 Mediated Inhibition of the Macrophage Migratory Inhibitory Factor Pathway in Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia"
- Vanessa Durand, DO, Department of Pediatrics, for her project, "Implicit Bias: Impact of Medical Staff Exposure to Urban Patient Population Over Time"
Julian Marsh Faculty Scholar Award
June Klinghoffer Clinical Educator Award
Oksana Korzeniowski Patient Care Award
- Kevin D'Mello, MD, Division of Internal Medicine
- Shareen Kelly, MD, Department of Pediatrics
William Likoff Clinical Excellence Award
- Paul Nyirjesy, MD, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Vincent Zarro Community Outreach Award
Angelo Pinto Educator Award
Elias Abrutyn Mentoring Award
Early Career Clinical Scientist Award
Emerging Clinical Leader and Innovation Award
- Nicholas Kuzma, MD, Department of Pediatrics
Young Investigator Award
- Kimberly Dougherty, PhD, Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
- Patrick Osei-Owusu, PhD, Department of Pharmacology & Physiology
Ellie Cantor, PhD, MCP '79, presents Vanessa Durand, DO, with her fellowship award letter
Nancy Spector, MD, associate dean for faculty development, with awardee Wen-Jun Gao, MD, PhD
Senior Vice Dean Valerie Weber, MD, and Zarro award winner Theodore Corbin, MD, MPP