Fall 2020 Semester
As part of the University’s COVID-19 response during the fall 2020 semester, courses in this program that are normally offered on campus will be delivered remotely. Online courses will be delivered as planned and without modification. Course directors will communicate more detailed information about how your courses will be organized and delivered. For more information, visit the FAQ page for the Division of Interdisciplinary and Career-Oriented (ICO) Programs.
The Master of Laboratory Animal Science (MLAS) degree is a full-time, two-year program designed for pre-vet or animal science students who want to pursue advanced careers in laboratory animal science or biomedical research. The MLAS degree is also a proven enhancement to a veterinary school application. Since the program's inception, MLAS alumni have accepted offers at more than half of the accredited U.S. Veterinary Medical Colleges.
The Master of Laboratory Animal Science program is the right choice if:
- You want to enhance your veterinary school application with the specialization that a master's degree provides
- You are interested in pursuing career alternatives in biology and animal science other than veterinary medicine
Now offering a Pre-Veterinary Graduate Minor!
Students desiring to attend veterinary medical school will have the option to elect to complete a pre-vet minor within the Master of Laboratory Animal Science (MLAS) program. Learn More!
MLAS News & Events
Drexel's MLAS Program Sets Sail with the AALAS Foundation
The students in the MLAS program submitted a model boat for the AALAS Foundation "Set Sail with Lab Animal Science" contest. The main goal of this lively event is to help raise funds to support the AALAS Foundation in its mission to educate the public about the importance of biomedical research and the compassionate professionals working in the field of laboratory animal science. Drexel's boat won first place and raised over $600 for the Foundation. Congratulations to MLAS Class of 2019 and Andrew Heinermann!
MLAS Program On-Campus and Online Options FAQ
The MLAS program's Erin Vogelsong explains how the program helps students get into veterinary school and the differences between the on-campus and online options.
Meet MLAS student Christine Vaspoli
"Growing up in small town New Jersey I never expected I would have been privileged enough to be standing where I am today. I have to admit, coming from an agricultural school like Delaware Valley University, I was a little timid when I was given the opportunity to come to the city. Little did I know, the decision to come to Drexel to get my Master of Laboratory Animal Science Degree would be one of the best I’ve ever made. Throughout the duration of this program, the professors have been beyond helpful and I have gained experience in areas I otherwise may not have. With that being said, I hope to pursue my dream of becoming a veterinarian, and without Drexel’s MLAS program I would have never realized I wanted to go into lab animal medicine. Drexel has prepared me more than I could have ever hoped and I truly feel confident working towards my future endeavors."
Veterinary Schools Attended by Our Students
- Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Lincoln Memorial University
- Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Oklahoma State University Center for Veterinary Health Sciences College of Veterinary Medicine
- Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
- Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health
- University of California School of Veterinary Medicine
- University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine
- Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Western University of Health Sciences College of Veterinary Medicine
- University of Guelph
- University of Prince Edward Island Atlantic Veterinary College
- University of Edinburgh Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
- University of Glasgow Veterinary School
- Royal Veterinary College
- Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
- St. George's University School of Veterinary Medicine
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
Each academic year, Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph will hold one seat for an MLAS student who applies to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program.
MLAS graduates are employed by universities, biotechnology institutions, government agencies, and pharmaceutical companies as supervisors, managers, trainers, veterinary technicians, educators, consultants and sales representatives.
Many MLAS graduates attend veterinary medical school and practice veterinary medicine.
Prospective students can request an appointment for an information session about the program. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please contact Erin Vogelsong at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 215.762.7968.