Vacation Leave Donation Policy
Policy Number: HR-74
Effective Date: July 2020
Responsible Officer: Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer
This policy provides for the voluntary donation of a portion of accrued vacation leave balances to assist another benefit eligible Professional Staff Member of the University.
This policy applies to all benefit eligible Professional Staff Members who have worked for the University for at least 90 days, excluding any Professional Staff Member who is affiliated with a collective bargaining unit. Members of a collective bargaining unit should refer to their union contract. "Drexel University" includes any of its subsidiaries and affiliates, including, but not limited to, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University and Drexel University Online.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer is the Drexel University official responsible for the administration of this policy.
Eligible Professional Staff Members may request a donation of vacation leave at any time during the year. The Vacation Leave Donation Policy allows for eligible employees, known as Recipients for purposes of this policy, to request a donation of vacation time from the University's Vacation Leave Bank. Donations are voluntarily donated by eligible employees, known as Donors. The criteria for a Recipient and a Donor to request and to donate vacation leave time respectively, are as follows:
- Successful completion of Introductory Period
- Holds an active benefits eligible position
- Has submitted current, updated and accurate leave report(s)
- Has not misused, or been disciplined for inappropriate use of, any University leave time
Vacation Leave Bank is a repository of vacation leave time voluntarily donated by eligible Professional Staff Members which is available for use by other Professional Staff Members who are eligible to request donations of such leave time.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by Drexel University, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Donor is a Professional Staff Member who has worked for the University for at least ninety (90) days and who wishes to donate a portion of their accrued vacation leave time to the Vacation Leave Bank.
Donation means the act of an eligible Professional Staff Member voluntarily and permanently transferring a portion of their accrued vacation leave time to Drexel's Vacation Leave Bank.
Recipient is a benefit eligible Professional Staff Member who has requested vacation time from the Vacation Leave Bank. Recipient will only be permitted to receive time needed for the reason(s) and/or purpose(s) described in the submitted and approved request.
- Request for Vacation Leave Donation
- To request a Vacation Leave Donation, the Recipient must complete a Request for Vacation Leave Form and submit the request to the Human Resources Service Center and HR Business Partner for approval.
- After the donation request has been received and approved, Human Resources will determine the donated amount of time to be given to the Recipient, based on need and available time in the Vacation Leave Bank.
- Recipients do not need to be Donors to receive donated vacation leave from the Vacation Leave Bank.
- The donated vacation leave becomes a permanent part of the Recipient's available vacation time until used. Use of the donated vacation leave by the Recipient shall be determined in accordance with the Vacation Leave Policy in effect at the time the leave is to be used.
- Donation of vacation leave to a Professional Staff Member may be limited if the Professional Staff Member's position at Drexel is subject to a specific contract or a grant agreement that defines the length of the position and/or places restrictions on the vacation leave available to that Professional Staff Member.
- Donation of Vacation Leave
- Professional Staff Members who voluntarily donate vacation leave time can do so at any time during the fiscal year, except in connection with termination of employment.
- Donor must leave 40 hours of accrued vacation time in their personal bank for use.
- Donor must donate accrued vacation leave in hourly increments.
- Donor acknowledges that any donated vacation time cannot be returned to the Donor. Donor must submit a Vacation Leave Donation Form that is approved, in order to obtain additional vacation leave.
- The Recipient's salary at the time leave is taken will be used for calculating the payment on the donated vacation time used by the Recipient.
- Donated Vacation Leave time used by the Recipient will not be considered in calculating hours worked for purposes of determining potential overtime pay due to the Recipient.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.