For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Study Abroad and the GI Bill

Are you a Drexel student interested in studying abroad and use the GI Bill for your educational expenses? If so, you are eligible to use the GI Bill to assist in the payment of a study abroad program. The payment structures for the types of program we offer are listed below.

Drexel Sponsored Programs


Students are billed regular Drexel Tuition, as if they are attending classes on-campus. Room and board is paid directly to host university, landlord, or other vendor.

Free Standing

Students are billed regular Drexel Tuition, as if they are attending classes on-campus. Students are also billed a program fee through Drexel’s e-billing system. Housing is usually included in the program fee.

Intensive Courses Abroad 

These are 1-4 credit classes held abroad during breaks and taught by Drexel faculty. The credits are included in the student's course load. For example, a Fall break program’s credits will be included in the student's Fall term course load (certain programs may not follow this rule). This means it will is also included in the student's regular Drexel tuition. In addition, students pay a program fee that is typically paid online, but can be paid using check, e-check, or money order. Lodging for the program is typically included in the program fee.

Non-Drexel Sponsored Programs

Independent Study Abroad

Students interested in this kind of program must speak with Drexel Central and/or the VA. Credits for Independent Study Abroad are entered as transfer credit and NOT Drexel credit. Students will also pay their host school or program directly for tuition and fees. Students do not pay Drexel tuition on this type of program.  

For all additional assistance and resources about using the GI Bill for studying abroad, please visit this page here.