For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Compliance, Research, and Export Control

Guideline: All Drexel international travel that includes Drexel issued equipment including laptops, cellular devices, tablets, etc... must be reported to export control.

Guideline: All Drexel international travel that includes controlled data, must be reported to the Executive Director of Research and Compliance.

Foreign Travel with Computers and Other Electronic Devices 

If you are traveling to another country with any university-owned equipment, including a laptop, cell phone, etc. you should indicate this on your travel request form. If you are travelling to a sanctioned or embargoed country, or you have non-retail-grade encryption software installed, or the device includes U.S. Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations (EAR) or U.S. Department of State International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) controlled technical data, or the hardware is unusually sophisticated, you MUST check with the Export Control Office for further advice.

Controlled Data

If you are working on a project that involves EAR or ITAR controlled technologies, your device may contain controlled technical data that cannot be shared with foreign parties without a license. You may not take a device with such data outside the US. If such data has been taken abroad, it is critical that you inform the Export Control office if such data may have been compromised while traveling due to the device being lost, stolen, or outside your control.

Other private data. Aside from export control laws, University policies regarding protection of student, financial, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)-controlled data recommend that such data not be stored on devices taken outside the US.

Check with the Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control for the most up-to-date sanctioned destinations.

Regulations in this area are both plentiful and change often. Reach out to the Executive Director of Research and Compliance with questions.