For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Veterans' Education Benefits


The Department of Veterans Affairs administers a variety of education benefit programs.

These are some of the most commonly used benefits at Drexel:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), including the Yellow Ribbon program
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). View more information about education benefits offered by VA

Drexel's Veterans Award

In addition to VA benefits, Drexel University awards a $5,000 scholarship for tuition only to students who have served in a branch of the United States Armed Forces and whose educational costs are not being covered 100% by VA benefits. You must be utilizing veteran educational benefits (i.e., Post 9/11 GI Bill) or provide us with DD-214 showing proof of service. This scholarship is renewable in any year that you are still not receiving VA benefits that cover 100% of your educational costs.

To be eligible for this award, a student must be admitted and enrolled as a new first-year or transfer student in a full-time undergraduate day program and have received or will soon be receiving an honorable discharge. Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly Vocational Rehabilitation) and Yellow Ribbon students are not eligible for this award since their tuition and fees are 100% covered. We must receive your required documentation that shows your entitlement is less than 100% coverage no later than the end date of your first entry term at Drexel. Upon approval, the award will be added for the first term and moving forward.

If you have questions regarding eligibility for the Drexel Veterans Award, please contact Drexel's certifying officials.

How to Apply for Benefits and Financial Aid

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). View more information about education benefits offered by VA.

After you've begun classes, notify Drexel Central if there's a change in the total number of credit hours for which you're registered because this affects your certification.

Your benefits must be certified at the start of each academic year, so be sure to complete the Veterans' Benefits Certification Form every year.

If you would like to request Drexel certify your VA Benefits for terms in which you will be on co-op, please complete the Veterans Co-op Certification Form [PDF] and submit to Drexel Central. 

If you want Drexel to refrain from certifying VA Benefits for a specific timeframe, please complete the Veterans Do Not Certify Request Form [PDF] and submit to Drexel Central.

Drexel's Certifying Officials

Drexel University's VA certifying officials are located in Drexel Central. You can direct your submission of VA Benefit documentation to:

Ryan Fonio
Assistant Director, Veteran Services
Drexel Central

Drexel University
3141 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Fax: 215.895.2939

View information about all of the services Drexel offers for veterans.

Interested in attending Drexel? Learn more about the admissions process.

Federal Shopping Sheet

Veterans and dependents of veterans who are receiving a financial aid package from Drexel will also receive the Department of Education Shopping Sheet that can be viewed via Discover Drexel. This document provides data and resources to assist veterans and dependents of veteran students in their decision-making process related to financing their education.

Sample Drexel Shopping Sheet for Veterans and Dependents of Veterans [PDF].