Global Engagement Scholars
The Global Engagement Scholar (GES) program offers a great opportunity to students who are interested in becoming globally minded citizens. The program provides students with the necessary structure to document and connect a wide variety of global experiences during their time at Drexel University. The distinction will be noted on the students’ transcript. Achievement of the scholar designation involves a combination of relevant coursework and co-curricular activities, including study or co-op abroad, foreign language study, and participation in globally oriented campus organizations and events.
Administered by the Drexel Global office, the Global Engagement Scholar program is free and open to all currently enrolled Drexel undergraduate students. The program is administered through two online blackboard community classroom courses, GES 201 Colloquium and GES 401 Portfolio, where students discuss and reflect on their independent international experiences. After completion of the orientation and activity requirements, students will develop a portfolio of their work that will prove highly beneficial to them in future academic and professional contexts.
Who are Global Engagement Scholars?
- Domestic and International students.
- Undergraduates of all majors with a demonstrated interest in enhancing their global competency.
- Students who want to connect their diverse cultural and international experiences.
- Students who seek a competitive edge. (Resume/CV).
- Leaders, adventurers, explorers, connectors, presenters, YOU!
- Orientation: Attendance at an in-person Orientation Program, or view our online orientation session. Orientation will be offered multiple times per year in person. Enrollment in the Global Engagement Scholar program and access to the community classroom is available only after orientation attendance.
- Activity Requirements (All activities must be completed while a student at Drexel):
- Coursework and Language Study: Completion (with a minimum grade of “B”) of at least 4 globally oriented courses. Of these 4 courses, a minimum of 1, but no more than 3 must be a foreign language course.
- International and Cross-Cultural Experiences: Completion of at least 1 international and 1 cross-cultural experience OR 3 cross-cultural experiences.
- International experiences include: study abroad, international co-op, military service, international volunteer/service experience, intensive courses abroad
- Cross-Cultural experiences, which do not require travel, include: leadership and/or active participation in international/multicultural organizations, co-op at an international organization, volunteering/service with local organizations that have a global mission (working with immigrants, cultural organizations, teaching ESL), participation in a global living/learning community, global classrooms, becoming a Dragon Buddy.
- Events/Programs: Participation in a minimum of 6 on- and off-campus global-themed activities and events: lectures, performances, conferences, workshops, diversity trainings. Any event you personally organize counts as 2.
- Portfolio: Completion and presentation of a global engagement portfolio. The portfolio should include all aspects of the scholar program (coursework, experiences and events). Prompts for write ups will be provided. Portfolio presentations will be scheduled immediately following orientations to connect incoming program participants and Global Engagement Scholar program alumni.
2022 Global Engagement Scholars Presentation Day
For more information regarding the GES program requirements, please review the GES Orientation.
Global Engagement Scholars Orientation
Students who view the GES Presentation electronically can apply to Global Engagement Scholars using this form.
For questions regarding GES, please email the Drexel Global office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Study Abroad Application Fee Waiver
GES Students are eligible to waive their $25 or $50 Study Abroad Application Fee!* For more information, email email@example.com