Dr. Richard (Rick) Knight, FASM, received his Ph.D. in Electronic and Electrical Engineering from Loughborough University in the UK (1985), followed by 4 years (1985-89) as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Mineral Resources Research Center (MRRC), at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, prior to joining Drexel University in 1989, where from 1997 to 2011 he directed the Center for the Plasma Processing of Materials (CPPM). Dr. Knight has over 30 years experience in thermal plasma technology - arc and plasma systems for materials processing, waste treatment and thermal spray coatings. His research was funded by NSF, DoE, NASA and numerous industrial sponsors. He has ~90 publications and presentations relating to plasma, arc and thermal spray coating technology, holds 3 Patents and has co-organized several technical sessions at national and international conferences. Dr. Knight has served as proposal reviewer for NSF, DoE, EPA and CRDF, and was a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Thermal Spray Technology. Dr. Knight was elected as a Fellow of ASM International in 2003 and served as Secretary/Treasurer, VP, President and Past-President of ASM International’s Thermal Spray Society (TSS) from 2002-08. He received the TSS President’s Award in April 2009. He chaired the TSS Program and Training Committees and ASM’s College and University Committee and served as a member of the ASM Web Committee. Dr. Knight updated and co-taught the ASM course on Thermal Spray Technology for more than a decade. An ASM member since 1989, Dr. Knight was elected as a member of ASM International’s Board of Trustees in 2009 and completed his term in October 2012. In May 2009 he was elected as the first Fellow of Alpha Sigma Mu. Currently Dr. Knight is a Teaching Professor, Associate Department Head and Undergraduate Advisor in the MSE Department at Drexel. He serves as a Faculty Advisor for the Drexel Material Advantage student chapter and for the annual ASM Materials Camp. Dr. Knight currently teaches the ENGR 220 Fundamentals of Materials course, serves as a lab instructor for ENGR 102 and 103, and coordinates the MATE 491-3 Senior Design sequence. He currently serves on the Senate Committee on Academic Affairs (SCAA) and both the MSE and College of Engineering Undergraduate Curriculum Committees and ABET Committees.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Loughborough University (UK), 1985
- MSc, Electroheat and Industrial Process Heating, Loughborough University (UK), 1978
- BSc (Hons.), Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Loughborough University (UK), 1977
Areas of Study
- February 2018, Winner, College of Engineering, Engineers Week 2018, Faculty Jeopardy Contest.
- January 2018, College of Engineering Outstanding Service Award, Drexel University
- June 2015, Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering Outstanding Service Award, Drexel University
- May 2015, Philadelphia Liberty Bell Chapter of ASM Int’l., 2015 Meritorious Service Award
- June 2008, Drexel University, Harold M. Myers Award for Outstanding Service to the University
- May 2007, Philadelphia Liberty Bell Chapter of ASM, Delaware Valley Materials Person of the Year.
- Allan, L., Bauer, A., Huang, Z., Koste, K, Pedicone, M., Knight, R. and Austero, M., “Sustainable Hydroponic Technology for Urban Farming,” IEEE Student Branch Poster Competition, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2012.
- Zurecki, Z., Ghosh, R., Mercando, L.A., Akuh, M. and Knight, R., “Effects of Automated Substrate Cooling on HVOF-Deposited WC-CoCr Coatings,” Journees A3TS, Association de Traitment Thermique et de Traitement de Surface, Paris, France, December 2010.
- Stravato, A., Mochalin, V., Picardi, S.C. and Knight, R., “HVOF Sprayed Nylon-11/ Nanodiamond Composite Coatings: Production and Characterization,” Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 17 (5-6), pp. 812-817, December 2008.
- Jackson, L.C., Ivosevic, M, Cairncross, R.A. and Knight, R., “Sliding Wear Properties of HVOF Thermally Sprayed Nylon-11 and Nylon-11/Ceramic Composites on Steel,” Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 16 (5-6), pp. 927-932, December 2007.
- Ivosevic, M., Knight, R., Kalidindi, S.R., Palmese, G.R. and Sutter, J.K., “Microstructure and Properties of Thermally Sprayed Functionally Graded Coatings for Polymeric Substrates”, NASA/TM-2003-212119, March 2003.
- Knight, R. “Thermal Spray: Into Its Second Century…Through the Looking Glass”, Guest Editorial, International Journal of Powder Metallurgy, 38 (7), pp. 33-34, 2002.
- Guddeti, R.R., Knight, R. and Grossmann, E.D., “Depolymerization of Polyethylene Using Induction-Coupled Plasma Technology”, Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing, 20 (1), pp. 37-63, 2000.
- Knight, R., Smith, R.W. and Apelian, D., “Application of Plasma Arc Melting Technology to Processing of Reactive Metals”, International Materials Reviews, 36 (6), pp. 221-252, 1991