Get Connected with DragonLink
Jennifer Thorndike-Gonzales, PhD
Help support the mission of Drexel's Student Center for Diversity and Inclusion by donating today!
Student Center for Diversity and Inclusion
The Student Center for Diversity and Inclusion (SCDI) supports and empowers students of all backgrounds as they build a sense of community and belonging. Our goal is to embrace, respect, and value all identities which reflect the diversity of Drexel University's students and community.
Our office engages Drexel's undergraduate and graduate students of African American, Latinx/e, Asian, Native American, and Indigenous descent, as well as LGBTQIA+, first generation, immigrants, and international student populations through direct advocacy, intentional identity-based community building activities, events, and courageous conversations. We are active advocates for student diversity, intersectional social justice, and education on campus. The SCDI is a safe/brave space where you can be who you are or explore who you want to be.
We are student-centered, but we actively look for collaborations between academic departments and offices around campus.
What We Do
- Empower students to create a stimulating and diverse environment. Our goal is to build a sense of belonging by providing a safe/brave space where students can live their whole identity.
- Facilitate intersectional cross-community connections and programs.
- Start courageous conversations that explore different topics.
- Provide educational training for the Drexel community.
- Fight against period poverty and food insecurity.
- Provide supplies to practice safe sex.
- Support diversity-based student organizations and Drexel's faith communities.
- Provide student-worker opportunities for our students that are passionate about DEI.
SCDI Supports the Following Spaces
Drexel students come from all walks of life — and in the Student Center for Diversity and Inclusion, we want to make sure every Dragon feels welcome, supported, and celebrated. Our space will help you connect with the rich diversity that makes up the Drexel University community.
- Library – Provides a collection of diverse topics and authors from different backgrounds, traditions, and identities.
- Nondenominational Prayer Room – With religious texts and supplies from different religious traditions to support the religious practices and spiritual journey of our Dragons.
- Meditation Room – With meditation materials and tools to support the mental health and wellbeing of our Dragons.
- Study and Lounge areas – With resources like nail and charging stations.
- Sensory Room – Designed to connect students with their senses to calm and sooth. We provide free coloring supplies, dot puzzles, Legos, free fidget items, and free journaling supplies.
- Classroom and Conference Room – For events, meetings, and other activities.
- Mario's Market – Food pantry that offers free food for students, faculty, and professional staff. For the hours of Mario's Market, see our Instagram (@drexelscdi) or visit the market (Rush Building, 2nd floor). If you want to make donations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We provide free condoms and sanitary products. If you want to donate, please contact us.
- Large Lounge Space – With microwave, TV, Nintendo Switch, a charging station, and dining and living room space.
- Flex Space – Students can book this space to hold professional interviews or therapy sessions. It will have a shared closet with professional clothes that students can borrow to dress up for their interviews. There is also a ring light for your own convenience.
- LUNA Graduation: La última noche del año is our graduation for Hispanic, Latino/a/e/x, Latin American Caribbean and Indigenous students.
- Drag Show: One of the University's pillar traditions.
- Pride Ball: The Ball is a night of celebration which welcomes all identities and gender expressions. Feel empowered as you dress to impress! During the event, SCDI will celebrate our LGBTQ+ seniors before they graduate from Drexel with the presentation of rainbow cords.
- Chai Chats: Power hour of conversation about hot topics affecting our respective communities which is led by an expert in the area.
- LGBTea & Coffee: Our termly social hour used to connect all identities and gender expressions through games, tea, coffee, and more.
- LGBTQIA+ Safety: Series of Conversations about how to improve safety for LGBTQIA+ students.
- Meet & Read: Monthly book displays in our library featuring authors from diverse backgrounds.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Festival: Celebrate and honor the Latinx/e diaspora with the numerous Latinx/e organizations at Drexel.
- Asian Countries Festival: Enjoy food from different Asian countries and learn with cultural presentations and games.
- Proud & Safe Series: Candid conversations about LGBTQIA+ safety on our campus.
- You can email email@example.com to let us know you'd like to volunteer.
- Follow us on our Instagram @drexelscdi or DragonLink.
- If you are interested in becoming a work-study, you can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit us! We are on the second floor of Rush Building (30 N. 33rd Street).
Jennifer Thorndike-Gonzales, PhD – Associate Director – email@example.com
Campus Safety Policies
We hold the safety and security of all Drexel community members, including our visiting guests, as our highest priority. Before visiting campus, we ask that all guests review our Security Guidelines to better understand the University policies and protections put in place to protect all Dragons.
30 N. 33rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104